Thread: Problem updating Spybot S&D

Default Problem updating Spybot S&D

Whenever I try to update Spybot S&D I get the following message

Error retrieving update into file
    Socket Error #11001
    Host not found.

Please help me fix this problem. Also I often get the message : Registry Change Denied from Spybot while installing/uninstalling other software or running other applications. I would like to know why this is so & how does it affect the performance of those other softwares.

Hello,
    Do you have a firewall installed? If so have you authorized SpybotSD.exe to access the internet?
    There is a good chance that the cause of the problem is a firewall or proxy problem.

If you sitting behind a proxy server:
    Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.

If you have a firewall:
    Reauthorize SpybotSD.exe to access the internet within your firewall. If you have a firewall and are not sure if that is the cause of the problem, you could (for a short period) disable the firewall and see if the updates work properly.

If Spybot-S&D is not blocked it is also possible that our server is temporarily not available. Please try it again a few hours later.

If this does not help please download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

RE: Registry Change Denied.
    If you checked "Remember this decision" on a change the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" changes. Check and see if you have any entries stored for the registry entries that are being denied as follows:
    • Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
      • Allowed processes
      • Blocked processes
      • Allowed registry changes
      • Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

• You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries that you should review are in "Blocked registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Unhappy Spybot-S&D is not blocked

I have Zonealarm firewall but nothing changed from last time when SB worked properely... SB also not firewalled... yes i can download manualy but i want to work just like it was...

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

zamankul:

The update process starts by downloading the spybotsd.ini file from one of these two sites:

Using Internet Explorer try to access the corresponding file for the version of Spybot that you are running (don't bother download the file, just see if you can access it). If you are successful accessing the file, try to do an update again with Spybot.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hallo, I've the same problem, since 2 day ago the Pc obtain the updates thithout any problem and now everytime i try to connect to any "spybot" site (also this forum) I obtain a connection error.
    Now I'm using an another PC
    No virus was found with 2 different antivirus program (boot form a clean pc), I think that probably some software (may a spyware) stop the connection to all "spybot" sites.
    Any Idea ???
    Regurads
    Giulio

Hello Giulio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giulio Busi View Post
    I think that probably some software (may a spyware) stop the connection to all "spybot" sites.
    The problem you are experiencing sounds different to the other members in this thread.

Which security programs do you have on the PC in question, and what is the Operating System.

If you would like someone to take a look and rule out infection, please follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps to obtain a HJT log after running an on-line anti virus scan.

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum

Once you have posted a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016