At first I thought this whole issue with the buttons was just a specific computer issue..
Then I thought it might be because a machine used to have SpyBot 1.3 on it..
Then I thought perhaps it's just display settings..
Then I thought - ok.. doesn't seem to be me, they'll release an update for it..

Today I come here and find out, "Yes, we know it's a bug, but we choose not to release the fix for it". This, I have to say, shocked me.

One would assume, if it's a known bug, that significantly impacts users (try explaining to your grandparents what to do!!) that an update would be released.. especially if other updates are being made. In 1.3 a patch to the executable was released (the one that closed and relaunched SB S&D), so it can be done.

Going back to the "grandparents" point.. they're not going to patch a binary by hand, and most certainly shouldn't be encouraged to just download arbitrary executables from a forum post. Downloading any old .exe from a forum post (no offence to the authors of said patches) triggers alarm bells for me generally..

RE the point of lots of downloads - each new person downloading the buggy version is another person having to download the fix..

At least this should be in the FAQ at http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/index.html ...

Yes, SB S&D is free - but you have to take into account parts of the target audience who use automated removal tools for the reason they're not that computer literate. At least, I guess, the post on this has been made "sticky" so it appears at top of forum.