Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer

Default Thanks again!

I think I'm all set. I really appreciate the help.

I know just enough to be dangerous, so I merely try to limit the damage....

md, thanks for pointing out the differences of the patches.

Ordinary users are not able to judge what 1 or 3 bytes can do for them. So they want to know what is the visible effect. Only then can they decide what is best for them.

I have tested the patch of SyreneD and Murdo.

When my display settings (Display Properties > Appearance) are set to XP default, both are equally good.
    If my sight were bad and I had set the display settings to Extra Large Font Size, then the line describing the registry key would be hidden in both cases. With SyreneD's patch I would also have to scroll to see "Remember this...".

Personally I have set my display to Classic instead of XP. In this case the default settings (normal font size) makes SyreneD'patch look better, but both are fully readable. Murdo's make the button slightly (1 mm) overlap the check box, but not obscuring the text.
    At settings Large Font Size and Extra Large they are both equally perfect.

Conclusions:
    1. All patch-makers have done a job most of us are very pleased with.
    2. Neither SyreneD's nor Murdo's patch is perfect (I have tested only these 2).
    3. If you use the default settings of XP, both Murdo's and SyreneD's patches are equally good.
    4. If you use Classic display setting, you would go for SyreneD's patch.
    5. If you have very weak sight, Murdo's patch is the preferred one.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kemscm
    First, THANKS! to the people who posted patches, especially the one with step-by-step instructions! I would not have been able to install the patch correctly without them. I can't say how much I appreciate having this fixed!

When I ran into the problem, the first place I looked was Support -- and I couldn't find ANY mention of this problem. I've denied a lot of changes I didn't want to deny....and caused I don't know how many problems for myself down the road....just because I could find any mention of the problem on Spybot's support page! Since there wasn't, I figured there was something wrong with my computer, not with Spybot.

Many thanks to the forum folks who solved this problem!
    I couldn't agree more!

I know I posted previously that had my TeaTimer been funtioning correctly I would not have turned it off and by doing so exposed my computer to infection by malicious intent.

As I see it logic dictates that the whole purpose of this product is sabotaged if people do not know how to or unable to use it for its intended purpose. At the time I discovered the issue I was also unable to find any referances to this in the Help of Spybot or in online searches. The designer of one of the patches wrote here that they happened on this Site which is exactly how I ended up here.

To me it's like locks on a door if people don't use them they leave themself open to possible home invasions. I think it is fair to admit that Spybot S&D was developed because there are people out there that like to exploit software vulnerabilities, well the TeaTimer display issue might well be considered as a vulnerability?

Quote Originally Posted by stein
    md, thanks for pointing out the differences of the patches.

Ordinary users are not able to judge what 1 or 3 bytes can do for them. So they want to know what is the visible effect. Only then can they decide what is best for them.

I have tested the patch of SyreneD and Murdo.

-snip-

Conclusions:
    1. All patch-makers have done a job most of us are very pleased with.
    2. Neither SyreneD's nor Murdo's patch is perfect (I have tested only these 2).
    3. If you use the default settings of XP, both Murdo's and SyreneD's patches are equally good.
    4. If you use Classic display setting, you would go for SyreneD's patch.
    5. If you have very weak sight, Murdo's patch is the preferred one.
    Thank you for the effort you have made to help the laypeople understand the visual impact of the fixes created.

(My display is XP default, 800x600 resolution, normal size fonts and for additional clearity I use Standard smoothing of screen fonts.)

I applied the patch created by Murdo and I am very happy with the result.

I definately feel alot more secure with the TeaTimer and SD Helper options functioning as they were intended.

Thumbs up Thanks a lot

When I realised that I had a problem with tea timer back in October 2005 the first place I looked for help was here is this forum. I found Elpiedra's post and fixed the little bug manually in 5 mins so Thanks Very Much.
    As for all the moaners and complainers who have filled up a lot of this thread Good Grief! You are using a "Free" program that is by far the best I have come accross so I don't see what you have to complain about. And if there is a little problem now and again so be it. After all isn't that what these forums and others like them are for? In fact isn't that what the Internet is all about people sharing information you know I.T. Go find something important to complain about and leave the forums to people who want to use them for help and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Brumagem
    When I realised that I had a problem with tea timer back in October 2005 the first place I looked for help was here is this forum. I found Elpiedra's post and fixed the little bug manually in 5 mins so Thanks Very Much.
    As for all the moaners and complainers who have filled up a lot of this thread Good Grief! You are using a "Free" program that is by far the best I have come accross so I don't see what you have to complain about. And if there is a little problem now and again so be it. After all isn't that what these forums and others like them are for? In fact isn't that what the Internet is all about people sharing information you know I.T. Go find something important to complain about and leave the forums to people who want to use them for help and information.
    I am sure someone will come along and cheer you and your comments along.

It's people like you and your high and mighty, holier then thou attitudes that give me reason to end my pathetic existance!

Thank you very MUCH!!!

Oh ya and I'd say have a great day but you are clearly already having one!

Default Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer

Thanks for the info, and it works as advertised.

Make it a great day!

Thumbs up Clueless but ingnorance is bliss therefore I am blissfully ignorant but happy!

I'm afraid I am comparatively clueless when we start talking in detail about things. Like I said blissfully ignorant. :p However also satisfied since the patch posted by murdo has worked perfectly! :D Don't know how and for the time being I don't care anyway. Just a great big THANK YOU to everyone who has posted and in particular to people who have posted patches, especially murdo (since I used murdo's) but also tashi for directing me here.

Happy New Year everyone (I don't care that it is almost a fortnight ago)

Question

Hi All...First let me say thanks to all who have provided such helpful detail about this problem....And especially to those who have given solutions...

I just upgraded from Spybot 1.3 to Spybot 1.4 on 1/2/06....So had a lot of catching up to do with the TeaTimer pop-up problem / solution....Thank goodness for this forum....!!!!!

I downloaded the "ResHacker" patch yesterday...I haven't installed it yet....Part of ResHacker install says to "turn off TeaTimer through Advanced Mode in Spybot"----I did that yesterday using **my account.....Planned on doing "just a bit more research" before installing the patch to be sure I understood everything etc etc.....Here's where I ran into something not mentioned as part of this problem/solution.....

I have Win XP....with **2 accounts (my husband's and mine)....I just discovered:

In my account-------------TeaTimer is turned "off"
    In husband's account------TeaTimer is still "on"

I assume I have to change his setting to "off" also......??.....
    Thanx in advance for any/all help......

Default So how come?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Spybot team cant fix this themselves???????????????

Like when it was first pointed out to them MONTHS AGO!!!???????????????

Maybe they should also look at fixing the other VERY ANNOYING bugs in Tea timer as well, especially the one keeps popping up saying it's allowing or denying changes to registry keys for software that is no longer installed on your computer....

And yes I have gone into the Tea Timer settings and deleted the entries, but Tea Timer keep putting the registry keys back in and displaying the pop ups again even when those registry keys are copied and pasted into several different restry editors that say no such registry keys exist in the registry....

The only way I have found to work around it is to delete the reg keys in the Tea Timer settings/allowed registry changes window, close Tea Timer, open Spybot, disable Tea Timer from monitoring for registry changes, close Spybot, reboot, open Spybot, enable Tea Timer to monitor registry changes again, shut down Spybot, reboot, and check to see in Tea timer is no longer listing the reg keys in it's settings windows.....

But I'm not holding my breath for them to fix it, after all it's only a freeware program and I should be grateful for that shouldn't I/we.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Refney
    SER·VICE - 4.a. An act or a variety of work done for others, especially for pay

Yeah, after paying $40 for this software, where's the service? Oh wait, it's free!!!

Jeez, take some personal responsibility for your p.c. and spend the 60 seconds to do the fix yourself. It'll be educational.
    So why CANT the Spybot team take the FIVE MINUTES it takes to fix it to do the same and offer it as a fix to ALL users????????

And just because it's a free program doesn't negate them having the responisbility to fix the bugs in the program, especially one that is supposedly one of the best available and a fix that is so easy to do.....

No, I just thing they cant be bothered....
    :(