Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer

Date this bug/fix was posted: 2005-10-28
    Current date I downloaded S&D and bug is still there: 2006-04-19

Time between: 6 months

Seriously, even with an 'official unofficial patch', this is a poor way for a product (yes, even a free product) to remain available for download. I learned of this bug while I was doing a Windows Update and it tried to add a startup entry to my regsitry. I had to redo the install because I would not click blindly when I could not see the "Allow" and "Decline" buttons. I uninstalled S&D immediatly.

The fix is simple. The "corrected version" has been promised since nearly the same time this bug was announced. Yet it has not been applied to the downloadable version. S&D looked like a wonderful tool and I'm sure a lot of people use it. However, I imagine a great number of people do exactly what I did at first, uninstall it, rather than look here for a trivial fix that they shouldn't even have to apply using methods most security minded people instinctually avoid (i.e. 'download this program from my www.someaddress.pl website, run it, and edit stuff you have no clue about').

Please take the 2 minutes it requires to fix the bug and the under 60 minutes required to repackage the install file.

Other than that, thanks for this free product and thank you to the original poster on this thread for the workaround.

Default Patch with care.

Have just 'fixed' the problem with one of the fixes suggested, and sure enough it sorted it. However, I ran anti-virus software immediately afterwards and found four trojans.
    Coincidence? ...Just be aware.
    M.:(

Thank you for the available fix. I had tried Resource Hacker, but gave up too soon I guess. Other programs I had looked into generally had hex in RCData, so I thought I wouldn't find anything useful. Anyway, glad I'm not the only one who noticed this, that would have been sad.

Thanks to the Safer Networking team for the creation of this wonderful software!

Fantactic. Can you also advise what program you used to do this tutorial, screen shots , links etc on the page?
    Mike

Default The patch, again.

I decided to post my patch once again, to make it easier for people to find. Also, I don't understand why the developers are so slow to resolve this. The updater module in spybot already is capable of closing spybot, updating its files and then reopening it. Why not release an updated through its integrated update system that closes teatimer.exe and then patches it, before reopening it? It would be simple to do, and would solve everything! Please please don't leave people hanging until the next release. Some people simply refuse to use anything unless it comes directly from the developer and so these people won't want to use spybot in its current state because of this glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by SyreneD
    ... I don't understand why the developers are so slow to resolve this. The updater module in spybot already is capable of closing spybot, updating its files and then reopening it. Why not release an updated through its integrated update system that closes teatimer.exe and then patches it, before reopening it? ...
    Man, you took the words right out of my mouth... It couldn't be that hard at all to auto-update... I love Spybot, and the fact that it is free, so I won't complain. Please dont' take this as a complaint...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SyreneD
    I decided to post my patch once again, to make it easier for people to find. Also, I don't understand why the developers are so slow to resolve this. The updater module in spybot already is capable of closing spybot, updating its files and then reopening it. Why not release an updated through its integrated update system that closes teatimer.exe and then patches it, before reopening it? It would be simple to do, and would solve everything! Please please don't leave people hanging until the next release. Some people simply refuse to use anything unless it comes directly from the developer and so these people won't want to use spybot in its current state because of this glitch.
    I as well (it's seem) are having these same type of problems w/pushing in the check buttons.The teatime resident utilities keep freezeup for some strange reason and leaving me no other alternative but to close it down by clicking onto the right top (popup box) corner x <--.Will this patch resolve the teatime problems?
    Last edited by hal69; 2006-05-13 at 16:30.

Default You should add it in an update

You should fix the change in an update for Spybot

Shouldn't we be seeing a new version real soon, based on the 1 year update schedule i have seen mentioned somewhere in these forums, the new beta 1.5 (or whatever) ought to be hitting our screens real soon with the fix to this bug.

OR

Maybe I am being cynical (some might say deservedly so) but, since i can find no mention of a 1.5 or new beta version, maybe there will be no more spybot versions, after all, leaving this serious a bug this long seems just a bit too much like a lack of interest. Let's face it how many people have said to themselves, "nice tool, shame about the bugs" and gone and found something else. Spybot usage must have dropped off, or at least new user uptake will not have been as great as it could have been. And then there are the regular bad checksums on some of the update mirrors.

Overall a great piece of work, you can work around the bug with some nimble mouse work or keyboard use, without using someone elses "Fix" and it remains free, to keep your PC free!!!!

Keep on trucking Spybot and hasta la vista baby to those saddo's that continue to write the nasties that spybot helps clean up.

To some extent, 2.0 is needed. There are a lot of issues that would be improved on -- if they have time.
    Will Pittenger