Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

drafm:

Quote Originally Posted by drafm
    I've not used a zip file before and since that was new to me, may be the reason I'm having the problem.
    For the two patches, if you are using Windows XP you should not have to unzip the file. Just open the zip file (double click) and then launch (double click) the application.

There here additional notes about using the two patch programs here:

If I understand correctly, by clicking on the left, I accept, and right, will deny.
    Correct or you can type "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

drafm:

I've not used a zip file before and since that was new to me, may be the reason I'm having the problem.
    Extracting and compressing in Windows XP.

The functions to extract and compress files/folders is built into Windows XP. The following is a brief description how to use those facilities.

To unzip (extract) a folder:
    1. Using Windows Explorer navigate to the zipped (compressed) folder.
    2. Right click on the folder and select "Extract All…".
    3. Click Next.
    4. In the Select Destination window you can select were you want the extracted folder to be located.
      1. By default the extracted files will be placed in a folder of the same name and in the same directory as the zipped folder.
      2. If you would like the extracted folder to reside some place else you can type the information into the block below "Files will be extracted to this directory:" or use the "Browse" button to select a directory.
      3. Click Next
    5. After the file(s) are extracted you are given the opportunity to "Show extracted files" which will open a Windows Explorer window displaying the newly created folder.

To compress (zip) files into a folder:
    1. Using Windows Explorer navigate to and select the file(s)/folder(s) that you want to compress.
    2. Right click on the file(s) and select "Send to" and then select "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    3. A zipped folder will be created with the name of the first file/folder selected and it will be located in the same directory that you are working within.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi, md usa spybot fan,

I apologize for the delay in returning. I should mention during the last few days I've been suffering with a dental problem which isn't helping.

Yesterday I did run Spybot again and clicked on Immunize. When the box came up I typed an A (for allow) and then remember me. It seemed to work but took forever to scan. I waited and waited but kept seeing the green check mark at bottom and figured it must be finished, although the green bars were still sitting there.

However, awhile later, I came back to see a Spybot symbol down in my tray. When I clicked it, it wouldn't open, nor did it respond to anything at all. I think the only thing available was Maximize or Close, but neither would work. I became a bit alarmed as I'd just been reading about phoney Ad-Aware and Spybot look-alikes and figured I may have picked up the wrong one. I kept pressing Alt and F4 and finally it came up saying something like 'Not Responding' and gave me to choice to click 'End Now', which I did. I managed to get rid of it but after that, everything on my computer was so slow, so I'm not sure what happened. I closed down the computer and later, it seemed to be running better again. Perhaps it wasn't finished but I wish it would let you know when it was.

Regarding Windows Explorer, I remember seeing that recently on another board where someone mentioned that it wasn't the same as Internet Explorer. However, after doing a bit of searching for it with my limited knowledge, I'm afraid I just don't feel comfortable getting in over my head at this point. I'm concerned about already having made some wrong moves due to lack of understanding.

I've looked through the link again that Zenobia posted and feel certain when I installed the new version of Spybot I didn't fill it out properly. Would it be better if I could uninstall Spybot and reinstall again since now I've got a tutorial to follow? Here is what is in my Startup menu under Accessories:

Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Spybot-S&D (advanced mode)
    Spybot-S&D (easy mode)
    Uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Uninstall Spybot-S&D

Thank you again - I appreciate your time.

drafm:

Yesterday I did run Spybot again and clicked on Immunize. When the box came up I typed an A (for allow) and then remember me. It seemed to work but took forever to scan. I waited and waited but kept seeing the green check mark at bottom and figured it must be finished, although the green bars were still sitting there.
    From your description I don’t understand what is happening. When you immunize you should not normally receive a pop-up dialog from TeaTimer indicating that there has been a registry change.

After clicking the Immunize button (shield symbol) in the left pane Spybot's Immunize screen appears. There are two (2) distinct functions on Spybot's Immunize screen:
    1. Permanent Internet Explorer immunity
    2. Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer

Permanent Internet Explorer immunity
    • When you first go into the Immunize screen the registry is scanned to determine if Spybot's immunization entries are present. During this short scan the green status bar in the "Permanent Internet Explorer immunity" section progresses from left to right. When the scan is finished you should receive one of two (2) messages indicating the status of Spybot's immunization:
      • Information
        All known bad products are already blocked.
        OK

• Warning
        xxxx bad products already blocked, xx additional protections possible. Please immunize.
        OK

The immunization is controlled by the three (3) buttons at the top of the left pane ("Immunize", "Check again" and "Undo").

• Immunizing, checking and undoing immunization do not normally stimulate a pop-up dialog from TeaTimer.

Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer
    • This section is for activating or inactivating Spybot's IE Resident Browser Helper Object (BHO) which blocks tracking cookies in Internet Explorer.

• Checking or un-checking "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" in this section would stimulate a pop-up dialog from TeaTimer.

Success!!!

I brought up Spybot, clicked the Immunize button - Warning box appeared with 10950 bad products already blocked, 5 additional protections possible. Please immunize. I clicked OK.

This time I enlarged the window a little more giving me a better perspective. I hadn't realized earlier I should click on the Immunize (again) at top which then gave me a green check mark below. My own stupidity for thinking by clicking Immunize at left was all I needed to do.

Anyway, I guess I'm on the right track now.

Thank you SO much for your time. I was volunteering on another site helping people (no, nothing to do with compters - LOL) so I understand the time invested and appreciate your effort.

Wink great stuff

fixed the problem great stuff and a great help saving time searching

Quote Originally Posted by murdo
    Well i figured this one out for myself using P.E Explorer (similar to ResHacker but more powerful) and i thought that people might not want to do it themselves so I created a patch program that will do it for you. I have sent it to the spybot authors, don't know if they will include it or not though!

If anyone has webspace I can put the RAR file I would be happy to email it to them, I've also attached it to this post.
    I used this tool and it worked just great, I had to disable Teatimer first cause if you don't then the programme is refused access.

Many thanks again.

Why have Spybot not issued a proper fix for this thru their updates? and if they do will it cause problems if the auto tool has already been used.

Also will there be an option to NOT accept to download it, that is if you do not need it due to the fact it has already been fixed.

I know that it has been passed to Spybot, although I don't know how long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by poppylove
    Also will there be an option to NOT accept to download it, that is if you do not need it due to the fact it has already been fixed.
    There is always an option not to accept downloads when using the integrated update facility within Spybot. Just don't check the item before clicking on the "Download Updates" button.

Also if you no longer what an item to appear when you do a "Search for Updates", you can right click on that item and select "Add to exclude list" and the item will not be presented when you "Search for Updates" during future updates.

Thumbs up Excellent Fix

Your idea is great. It works just fine...