Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer

Default Bug Fix

That seems to work for me, too. Many thanks to you for your effort and 'open source' spirit.:dancing-c

Default why is mine so bad?

md, why is my patch "inferior" just because it modify's 3 bytes instead of one? I mean if it was 3 MEGA-bytes instead of 1 then fair enough, but 3 BYTES?!?!

In fact i'm quite offended and wont be making any future patches / help. Not sure why I bothered.
    Last edited by murdo; 2005-12-22 at 23:25.

Default Da

Let's see freeware isn't free I got to remember that!:D

I have just installed Murdo's patch, and the installation was a snap. The guidelines in post 41 are more than sufficient for a successful install.

Murdo, ElPiedra, and SyreneD (and maybe others), thank you for doing what thousands of forum users never ever do, namely creating someting that even the official SpyBot designers did not manage!

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    .... I personally consider your patch superior to the patch provided by murdo because it only modifies the one byte height attribute on the "Remember this decision" line of TeaTimer's pop-up dialog the same as the ResHacker fix did, as opposed to three bytes in the murdo patch. ...
    You're kidding, right?
    The problem of partially hidden buttons differs slightly according to display settings like Screen Appearance.

Esteemed Member

Personally, I consider this entire discussion pointless, since the problem itself should never have occured.

It's been so long since the 1.4 release date in June of 2005 that everyone's forgotten how this really happened. Though the original issue that triggered the display problem with the buttons was created by the Delphi compiler, this wasn't what allowed it to be released. The real problem was that no external test release of the true final 1.4 Release Candidate (RC) code was performed before it was distributed to the mirror sites. If this had been done, we would have found the problem within hours as we did in June.

However, the issue that concerns me most is that in the almost two years that I've been involved with Spybot, no significant upgrade of the program itself has occured between major (annual) releases, even to fix messy issues such as this one. This has led some to criticize what is otherwise an excellent product.

Regardless of my involvement here and the fact that the product itself is free, I still feel Spybot could be improved by a more frequent public upgrade cycle to remove already fixed bugs. I understand not wanting to have many 'point' releases during a versions lifetime, but most of the repeated questions here are due to two or three items which have been fixed for months in the internal version.

I would ask that Team Spybot consider re-designing the release cycle so that either a bug fix only release occurs shortly after (1-2 months at most) a major release or a 6 month sub-release occurs to refresh the existing code. Personally, I prefer the former for several reasons, most related to program version control and support issues.

Let's quit picking at each other and even Team Spybot and make our suggestions as to what we'd prefer as users. With that knowledge at least Team Spybot can make an informed decision that helps both the users of the program and the support load on Team Spybot itself.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

ResHacker fix vs. SyreneD (one byte patch) vs. Murdo (five byte patch)

Original TeaTimer.exe contained the following code at offsets +00000158, +00000318 and +0013CAA2:
    • +00000158 – 543F
    • +00000318 – 0090
    • +0013CAA2 – A0 (160 decimal)

ResHacker fix – originally posted by flyingcucco on Jul 11, 2005 in this Net-Integration Forums post:
    http://net-integration.us/forums/ind...dpost&p=153105

Later posted by ElPiedra on Oct 28, 2005 here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=423#post423

The ResHacker fix change done on my system changes the following:
    • +00000158 – 543E
    • +00000318 – 718F
    • +0013CAA2 – BE (190 decimal)

Original SyreneD One byte patch:
    • +0013CAA2 – BF (191 decimal)

SyreneD went to lengths to explain how the patch was developed and why the changes to other locations were eliminated:

Murdo five byte patch:
    • +00000158 - E63E
    • +00000318 - 808F
    • +0013CAA2 - B2 (178 decimal)

Please note that the changes at locations +00000158 (E63E vs. 543E) and +00000318 (808F vs. 718F) in the Murdo patch are not consistent with changes the ResHacker fix did on my system and that is why I do not personally recommend it.

By the way, I use none of the above. I am still running with the original Spybot-S&D 1.4 TeaTimer.exe.

I also agree with bitman's assessment. The delay in the correction of the TeaTimer dialog problem has caused severe and in many cases irreversible problems for people who are unaware of the "A" for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change" workaround or the fixes discussed in this thread. Particularly in light of the fact that closing the dialog denies the registry change. Please make the correction of this problem a priority.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default patch

i did the 1 byte patch. it works . thanks yall

Default A couple of questions

First, THANKS! to the people who posted patches, especially the one with step-by-step instructions! I would not have been able to install the patch correctly without them. I can't say how much I appreciate having this fixed!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to restart the memory-resident program without restarting my computer? Will just clicking on Teatimer.exe work?

2. Is there any way to Undo all the things I've had to deny because I didn't know the shortcut keys and couldn't get the popup box to allow the changes? I can't even remember what they were, but there have been several.

When I ran into the problem, the first place I looked was Support -- and I couldn't find ANY mention of this problem. I've denied a lot of changes I didn't want to deny....and caused I don't know how many problems for myself down the road....just because I could find any mention of the problem on Spybot's support page! Since there wasn't, I figured there was something wrong with my computer, not with Spybot.

Many thanks to the forum folks who solved this problem!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kemscm
    1. Is there any way to restart the memory-resident program without restarting my computer? Will just clicking on Teatimer.exe work?
    To stop TeaTimer:
    • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.

To restart TeaTimer:
    • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Quote Originally Posted by kemscm
    2. Is there any way to Undo all the things I've had to deny because I didn't know the shortcut keys and couldn't get the popup box to allow the changes? I can't even remember what they were, but there have been several.
    If you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Resident, there is a list of actions taken with TeaTimer. Unfortunately there is no way to reverse any Registry change decision ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you made with TeaTimer. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again (or manually edit the Registry).

If you answer/answered any of TeaTimer's Registry change dialogs with "Remember this decision" the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" future changes. You can edit "Remember this decision" entries as follows:
    • Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
      • Allowed processes
      • Blocked processes
      • Allowed registry changes
      • Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

• You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries for the registry change function of TeaTimer can be found under the "Allowed registry changes" and "Blocked registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.