Thread: Spybot's immunization vs Spyware Blaster?

Default Spybot's immunization vs Spyware Blaster?

I was wondering how does Spybot's immunization compare aganst SpywareBlaster?

is it better? worse?

I dont have the answer your looking for (I'm interested in same info), but I choose to have them both going same time.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Spybot blocks the download/execution of 805 ActiveX processes. Blocks the storing of 91 cookies. Places 1210 sites in the restricted zone, 1188 by domain (site name) and 22 by range (IP address).

SpywareBlaster blocks the download/execution of 2926 ActiveX processes. Blocks the storing of 209 cookies. Places 1617 sites in the restricted zone, all by domain (site name).

There is some overlap of protection. The two products together block 3038 ActiveX processes, 261 cookies and place 1850 sites in the restricted zone by domain and 22 by range.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Esteemed Member

Same thing, SpywareBlaster just has more of them. We've had posts of exact numbers in the past, but it comes down to there just being more Restricted Sites, Active X "Kill Bits" and cookie blocks than in Spybot. It also has the option to select/deselect all of these individually, which Spybot doesn't do in its Immunize.

This is primarily due to SpywareBlaster doing nothing else, so they concentrate on these items and also differences in what both groups see as important and believe should be blocked.

Neither is really 'better' than the other, they are complimentary, which is why many people use both.

<<< EDIT >>>
    You know, I'd really gotten used to being able to see that someone else was in a thread, which avoided most posting overlaps like this.
    Last edited by bitman; 2005-10-29 at 07:06.

Red face Spybot Update removing some of SpywareBlaster's protection ?

I have heard that after a Spybot Update that some "items" in
    SpywareBlaster will become "unprotected" and that one should go to the
    Spywareblaster interface and reenable all protection; true ?
    For the BEST in What counts in Life :

www.tacf.org

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you do a Spybot > Immunize > "Undo" followed by an "immunize" there are 12 restricted zone entries that show up as unprotected in SpywareBlaster. This is because Spybot adds the sites to the restricted zone at a different level than SpywareBlaster does. I published the actual entries at one time in the net-integration.net forums, but I don't remember what they are.

If you use multiple products that add entries to the registry for sypware protection and undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other. You should re-immunize or re-enable the protection in the other products as appropriate.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritsongs
    I have heard that after a Spybot Update that some "items" in
    SpywareBlaster will become "unprotected" and that one should go to the
    Spywareblaster interface and reenable all protection; true ?
    Yes I have seen this a few times. So I just re-enable each one manually, after each update. Restart programs to verify thats alls good

Quote Originally Posted by bitman
    <<< EDIT >>>
    You know, I'd really gotten used to being able to see that someone else was in a thread, which avoided most posting overlaps like this.
    Sorry bitman, working on getting that corrected.

Thanks for the answer guys