Thread: Virus or maleware?

Default Virus or maleware?

Hi all
    Since last week I'm having big trouble with my laptop.
    I'm running Spybot 1.4, spywareblaster and Symantex Antivirus corporate edition.
    Never had a problem before + I'm updating them daily.

Any way, I don't know what's happened, but spybot is not there any more.
    If I install it again and I click on the desktop icon just after the installation it says "file not found" and this is confirmed by the missing executable in the program files/spybot directory.
    Same problem with the antivirus, is not working any more. So I've removed symantec and installed f-prot. Same problem... every time I click on the tray icon it starts the installation from scratch :-(
    Same music with other antivirus.

It seems to me a nasty virus.
    I've used different antivirus from a bootable USB key and they don't find anything.

The system boots up correctly but windows XP is pretty slow now

I was just wondering if anybody have run into this same problem

Thanks to read!
    rs232

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is malware that appears to remove Spybot's executables and some that disables anti-virus software. Consider posting in the Malware Removal forum and having someone take a look at your system. Follow the instructions here:

After completing those steps, start a new thread (topic) in the following forum (making sure to include the HijackThis log and online scan logs produced from the instructions above):

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.