Thread: Router Benefits ? ...

Default Router Benefits ? ...

I've often heard that using a router enhances security.

I have a 4 port router (feeding 2 computers) which also provides a 2 telephone connection (feeding one telephone #).

How (& if) does this work ? ....

Hi there.

There is a lot of information regarding Routers at BroadBand Reports.

Hope that helps.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Emeritus

my two cents:
    routers simple re-route data from one network to another. Its like a barrier. the internet on one side (your cable modem) connected to the Wide Area Network (WAN) port on the router and your computer(s) on the otherside, the Local Area Network(LAN) ports.
    I think most people want a router because they have more than one computer and want to have a internet connection for all of them. The software builtin to the router (NAT) provides for this. the router assigns each computer a internal IP.
    Routers can also be a good security investement and are inexpensive. How:

You have one external IP address provided by your ISP and each computer is assigned a non-routable internal IP address.
    a router that has SPI (internal firewall) will drop any unsolicited internet traffic.

thats all good for external traffic. a better idea would be to use a software firewall (and a router) on each computer for outbound traffic. A router wont do much good for any malware that you get on your computer like say via a email attachment. A software firewall will alert you to outbound connections.
    its like: router=inbound security, software firewall= outbound security
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?