Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE7 Security

Default IE7 Security

I have heard from several people that IE7 is much more secure than previous versions or even Firefox. I came to ask, is this true? By security I mean the ability to repel automatic downloads/key loggers that run on active x exploits or other kinds. Also, how does it stand up with the add-on "noscript?"

It'd s a little dated,but there's an article here:
    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3639566

There are some "reported weaknesses and vulnerabilities" here,so you can look at any problems,or what have you:
    http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase.html#vuln

From this site:
    http://www.ie-vista.com/
    (There's a lot more about IE7 there,also.)

I second the link Zenobia posted to Sandi Hardmeier's Welcome to IE-Vista
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi.

I agree that IE7 is more secure than previous versions, but more secure than FF2?

In my opinion FF2 is less vulnerable for malware because it is stricktly separated from the Microsoft Windows OS and it doesn't support AxtiveX.

FF2 with NoScript also seems to be less vulnerable for Exploits, although a fair comparrison with IE7 is difficult in this matter. There are simply more exploits for IE7 than for FF2.

FF2 is 'out of the box' pretty safe, but I always advise to use it with the extensions NoScript, Adblock Plus and CookieSafe to enhance security and privacy.

The only thing I don't like about FF2 is the Client-side session and persistent storage feature. I want to share that because a lot of FF2 users never heard of it. Simply said it acts like a kind of super cookie so that websites can exchange data with the local data storage. I always advise to switch that off. You can do that in the Firefox configuration : In the Firefox adres bar type about:config than Enter. Look for the item dom.storage.enabled and right click on it. Toggle the value from True in False. Thats all.

Just my 2 cents in the hope it is apreciated this time.

Greetz, Red.

Default Rednose

Thanks for the advice on securing my FF2! I just took all the steps you mentioned and feel so safe and comfy! -tortuga

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    Thanks for the advice on securing my FF2! I just took all the steps you mentioned and feel so safe and comfy! -tortuga
    Tortuga:

I trust that you are running Firefox 2.0.0.3 for that sense of security:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Our spying friend is right : Be safe, be up to date

Greetz, Red.

it has this Anti phishing tool..but i feel IE7 loads really slow when we initally open it..