Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The application has changed"

Esteemed Member

Dr. Premanshu Bhushan: Ah Ha! Finally we may be getting somewhere!

We've been having seemingly random hanging issues during Spybot scans with some systems using HTT (HyperThreading), especially with the Spybot S&D 1.4 version. Though there is a simple test for those that can start Spybot, setting the 'Set Affinity' for the SpybotSD.exe process to processor 0 (zero) only, this won't work in your case since you can't start the program successfully.

Since these problems act differently on each system, it's possible that this problem is related to HTT, but we can't be sure without testing. If you're willing, I'd given the instructions below to someone with HTT to fix the problem in a semi-permanent way, by patching the SpybotSD.exe file. It worked great for him and will only need to be repeated if this executable file is replaced by a reinstall or program upgrade, assuming it hasn't already been fixed by then. It changes nothing else, so it isn't dangerous even if it doesn't fix the problem.

If you're willing to try it, the explanation and instructions follow, though I haven't changed the mention of Set Affinity, which you can't try. Please let us know if it works so we can help others with the issue.

<<< Beginning of instructions >>>
    This tool and setting is only useful to attempt fixing the Spybot S&D hang a few have had. It locks SS&D to CPU0, the first processor, which isn't preferred under normal circumstances. However, it really shouldn't create any problems since typically Spybot S&D uses more of the processing power during a scan then anything else anyway. This is the same thing Set Affinity does, but is permanent for the modified SpybotSD.exe you'll create.

The tool you'll use is called ImageCFG.exe and was originally included on the Windows NT CD, but works with all OS versions based on NT that have come since. I found a link to this tool which I used to test the basic process a few months ago, but was unable to truly test the fix since I don't have HTT myself. There is also a good simple tutorial for the tool, though I'll give you the exact command needed further below.

http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

First, download the ImageCFG.exe file and place a copy in the Spybot program folder listed next so it's easy to use from a command prompt.

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search and Destroy\

Next, open a command prompt (Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt) and change directory to the same folder.

CD "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search and Destroy\"

Now create a backup copy of the SpybotSD.exe file so you won't need to reinstall SS&D if there's a problem.

Copy SpybotSD.exe SpybotSD.org

Finally, execute the following command to modify the Spybot executable to use CPU0.

imagecfg -a 0x1 SpybotSD.exe

At this point the file should be modified and you can run Spybot S&D just as you normally would. Try running a scan without changing the Affinity setting by hand. Whether it works or not, I'd be curious if the Affinity setting is visibly changed in the process view you've already used before, so let us know this and if it works or not.
    <<< End of instructions >>>

Remember, let us know if the error message goes away.

Thanks for giving it a try.
    Bitman

Default Thanks but it does not work

Hi Bitman,
    Firstly thanks a lot for your effort.
    I tried as you suggested... Firstly I tried by manually changing the affinity manually. Then I closed and restarted it from my tea timer submenu. It started without the warning twice. However, the third time it was back to square one.
    Then i decided to go the long way..
    Did it as you said..
    See photo: untitled2
    I checked the changed affinity and it was changed..
    See photo: untitled3
    However, when I restarted spybot the dreaded message was back.
    See photo: untitled4
    Maybe it may work with some modifications as for twice it did start without notice by manual change.
    Thanks and hope you crack it soon.
    Sincerely,
    Premanshu Bhushan

Esteemed Member

Thanks for giving it a try. I wonder why it's working OK sometimes and then giving the error at other times? Sounds like something isn't stable on the system, even if it's not malware related.

Is it possible to shut down HTT in some way that will still allow the system to function? I believe in the early days of the HTT lock-ups someone initially turned off HTT in the BIOS before we knew about the Set Affininty option.

What I'm looking for are simple ways to reduce the complexity and stress on the system to at least find an explanation. Feel free to suggest or try your own ideas as you have time. With so few reports it's unlikely we'll ever be able to reproduce this, so someone with the problem will have to at least help test and find the real cause.

This thread will be archived.
    If you need it re-opened please pm me or a forum mod.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016