Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIN32.AGENT.PZ Problem

Emeritus

hi E-literat,

looks like we are close to the end. you have both superantispyware and avg antispyware. dont need them both. both do the same thing. both are good. up to you which one to keep. both have real-time protection, except avg's guard becomes disabled after 30 days unless you purchase it, you can still update and scan with it though. superantispyware's real time protection dosnt become disabled. i would remove one via the add/remove programs panel, then reboot computer.
    --------------------
    so they dont interfere with hjt please disable any realtime protection thats running, like spybots tea timer, avg antispyware guard or superantispyware.
    if running you would find the icon by the clock. you can exit the program by clicking on the icon.

once disabled:
    scan with HJT, put a checkmark beside the items below, close all windows and click fix checked

F2- REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntos.exe
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {09dd3840-7edd-4855-afe0-ebbd50fc643a} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mprcht.dll (file missing)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O20 - Winlogon Notify: mprcht - mprcht.dll (file missing)
    ------------------------------------------
    just to make sure nasties dont get archived in system restore points we can make new ones like this:

1. Turn off System Restore. (deletes old possibly infected restore point)
    On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    Click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    Check Turn off System Restore.
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.(forces a new restore points on a clean system)
    On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    Click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
    Click Apply, and then click OK, then reboot

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310405
    --------------------------
    shelf life
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

How are you doing today shelf life,
    O.K I uninstalled AVG at add and remove programs/disabled Superantispyware and Avast, right now as I type this I realize you didn't tell me to disable anti-virus (LOL!).Scan.exe,found all except F2-REG:system.ini:UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntos.exe/fixed all checked/turned off system restore and Reboot/Turned on system restore and Reboot.
    Did I make a mistake turning anti virus off?

E-literat

Emeritus

hi E-literat,

thanks for the info. dont worry about turning the AV off. i've never known it to interfere with hjt. sounds like you are good to go now.
    did you at one time have symantec or norton antivirus? look in add/remove programs panel and uninstall anything symantec or norton or live update. you use avast now as your AV.
    iam only referring to symantec/norton antivirus and not any other product you might have from them. (only need one antivirus) if you are not sure dont uninstall it.
    looks like some (norton) left overs in the log.

shelf life

Hi shelf life,
    Yes I had Norton Anti-Virus,and one day I looked at my system tray and notice the icon wasn't there.Come to find out that it was disabled and I couldn't enable it,that's when I noticed that I was infected (pop-ups/warnings/loss of performance). In an attempt to get protection and control, I uninstalled Norton and installed Avast. I'm not an expert,but it seem as though the virus had got into my computer,turned Norton off and had control of my browser and my security settings. I had never seen anything like this before and I was lost!Yes I uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus, but still have these in my programs Live Reg/Live Update/and Norton Personal Firewall, at the time I tried to uninstall but was unable, (do you think this Firewall is still active? Should I use Microsoft's Firewall?).

To all: Support this Forum!
    E-literat

Emeritus

hi E-literat,

it seem as though the virus had got into my computer,turned Norton off and had control of my browser and my security settings
    this is very possible, virus/malware can terminate AV/firewalls etc.
    -----------------------------
    do you still have a subscription with norton?

you could uninstall/reinstall the norton suite you have. i have never had a all in one suite from norton so i dont know if its possible to uninstall the antivirus but keep the firewall? i suppose if you see them both listed in add/remove list then it is possibe.

norton does make a automated uninstaller for their products.
    you could use that after removing what you can via add/remove programs
    panel then just go with avast and windows firewall or zone alarm free version.
    up to you. see this link
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

Hello shelf life,
    Norton came on my computer pre-installed (with a trail period).Recently my job offered it thru our IT department, and that is what I had running (maybe it wasn't installed correct?). Right now I'm leaning toward leaving Avast running, and use the download Norton removal tool (let me research that question. Do you know of a place I could research, on which I may base my decision?

Thank you,
    E-literat

Emeritus

hi E-literat,

i dont know what it is you want to research. you can keep or uninstall norton and go with avast. One isnt better than the other. avg antivirus is another free choice.
    norton antivirus is probably active on your computer, you only need one antivirus, so one of them has to go. we can get you another (free) firewall.

whatever you do, use the uninstaller in the add/remove programs panel to remove stuff first before using the norton removal tool.

shelf life

Hi shelf life,
    O.K uninstalled Avast/reinstalled Norton Anti-Virus and configured/turn on Firewall (made password protected)/turn Windows Firewall on and Rebooted.

Emeritus

hi E-literat,

ok.

turn on Firewall (made password protected)/turn Windows Firewall
    just like antivirus, you only need one firewall. more is not better than one in this case.
    if that norton suite includes a firewall then it probably turned off windows fw automatically. you can check in the "security center" start>settings>control panel> security center.
    windows fw should be off, if not and your using norton fw, you can turn windows fw off.

shelf life

Hi shelf life,
    Done!Windows (off).
    Is there anything else that you would like me to do?