Thread: HELP!!! No Windows2000 desktop after restart

Default HELP!!! No Windows2000 desktop after restart

HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!

I am desperate now.
    Yesterday I got some registry change notifications from Teatimer where I was asked to allow/block them.
    I chose to block them because I didnt know what these changes were.

I restarted my notebook this morning after Windows updates.
    It now appears that the registry changes had something to do with winlogon or something.
    I now only get Windows explorer instead of my desktop and icons.

I didnt know how to undo the blocks and thought an uninstall of Spybot S&D would help. But to my disappointment it didnt work. I still get no desktop and Windows Explorer.

I am desperate now....
    Has anyone ever experienced this before and how did you recover??

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank in advance,

Hello,

Please right-click the Resident icon in the system tray "Spybot S&D resident" and select "Settings". There you will find 4 lists for remembered decisions (allowed/denied processes and registry changes). In order to remove an entry just click on the cross next to it. TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Please right-click the Resident icon in the system tray "Spybot S&D resident" and select "Settings". There you will find 4 lists for remembered decisions (allowed/denied processes and registry changes). In order to remove an entry just click on the cross next to it. TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Hi Sandra,

The problem I got is that after restarting I didn't get my desktop and the taskbar as usual. Instead a window of Windows Explorer opened. So I couldn't access Teatimer to try what you suggested.

I did however find out, after uninstalling SD14 that the reason for not getting the desktop was a missing string "explorer.exe" in the Shell string in HKLM\SFOTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
    After adding this and doing a restart, all goes like it should and I get my desktop and windows taskbar.

The problem I now have, is that when installing SD14 again it removes this string from the registry resulting in no desktop and a open windows explorer after restart.

Even after installing SD14 when I have my desktop and select "Run SD and Teatimer", when I right click and choose settings, everything is empty. So I can not undo what I had ignored when I got the registry change messages.

It looks like SD14 is using old settings when reinstalled.
    Is there way to be sure that after an uninstall everything related to SD14 is removed??

Looking forward to your reply,

Brian

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

1. Is Spybot 1.4 currently installed or uninstalled?
      1. If it is not installed, reinstall it without TeaTimer.
      2. If it is installed, stop TeaTimer and keep it from restarting at system startup as follows:
        • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
        • Uncheck the following:
          • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
        • Exit Spybot.
    2. If you check "Remember this decision" during Registry change alerts, the information is stored in a file named either RegKeyWhite.sbe or RegKeyBlack.sbe depending on whether it was an "Allow change" or a "Deny change". The locations of the RegKeyWhite.sbe and RegKeyBlack.sbe files are:
      • Windows 95/98
        C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
      • Windows ME
        C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
      • Windows NT/2000/XP
        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

To get Spybot to forget a permanent decision, you can use a text editor such as Notpad to remove the entry (line) that represents the decision you want eliminate. You can also delete the entire RegKeyWhite.sbe or RegKeyBlack.sbe file and all of that type of decision will be forgotten.
    3. Delete all of TeaTimer's snapshot files before restarting TeaTimer so that TeaTimer will start fresh and does not use the snapshot files to compare against the current content of the registry. This should prevent TeaTimer from trying to change the "HKLM\SFOTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" entry back again. To do that:
      • While TeaTimer is not running, delete all the .reg files located in one the following directories:
        • Windows 95/98
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
        • Windows ME
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
        • Windows NT/2000/XP
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
    4. After you have deleleted TeaTimer's snapshot files, restart TeaTimer:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Check the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.