Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red colored entry in system startup tab

Question red colored entry in system startup tab

I just downloaded spybot and after running updates and immunize, decided to switch to advanced mode to flip through it's options. When expanding Tools-> System Startup and then scrolling the entries I found a red one. Here are the descriptions (it's split in two, the 'key' being HK_LM:RunOnce) ;

Current filename: %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe

Database status: Not required - virus, spyware, malware or other resource hog
    Value: Launcher
    Filename: launcher.exe

Description
    Spyware component related to DownloadWare and found in Program FilesKFH

Source: Paul Collins Startup list

--and the second one :

Current filename: %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe

Database status: Typically not required
    Value: Launcher
    Filename: relaunch.exe

Description
    Audio Applications Launcher for the Philips _Rythmiic Edge_ Programs

---- Now I unchecked it and ran spybot and it didn't come up with anything. Tried windows searching for the specific file but can't find it. Should I delete it from the list using spybot?

Is there any chance this is something harmful or should I ignore it?

Any help or input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

odly enough I just noticed another 'odd' entry in the system startup list.

This one is at the top of the list and is plain white. (no red/green/yellow) Also, there's nothing written in the 'value' and 'command line' slots.

Here is it's description:

Current filename:

Value:
    Filename: system32.exe

Description
    Added by the _AGOBOT-KU_ WORM! Note - has a blank entry under the Startup Item/Name field

----------------

Is this right? I'm having trouble believing it as this is a very new system and has been completely protected from the beginning and I do not recall ever having caught the _AGOBOT-KU_ WORM.

Should I delete this entry or ignore it? I'm running vista home premium in case that matters.

ANy input or response is greatly appreciated, thanks!

anybody...?

bump

I have the same blank start-up entry on my Vista computer.Looking in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,I see no blank entry except the top one,(Default) Reg_SZ,and under Data,it is blank.I added (Value Not Set)to the (Default) entry,and restarted Spybot,and Spybot picked up on it in the description/Current filename:
    Current filename: (Value Not Set)

Value:
    Filename: system32.exe

Description
    Added by the _AGOBOT-KU_ WORM! Note - has a blank entry under the Startup Item/Name field

So I'm pretty sure Spybot is just picking up on the (Default) registry entry.

As for your red entry:
    %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe
    Ordinarily a red entry is bad,but I have some doubts that this one actually is.The first description says launcher.exe should be found in program files,but that's not where your launcher.exe is located.
    In Spybot's start-ups,what does it say under Value?
    Also,I was wondering if you have an HP computer?You could go to C:\Windows\SMINST\launcher.exe and rightclick launcher.exe,then select properties.What does it say on the Details tab?

Hmm, so if I understand correctly the 'empty' one should be safe? I'm not confident playing around in the registry so if possible I'll just not bother with the blank entry, i'll leave it be.

As for the red one, I don't remember what it said under value because I kinda got spooked by the red so I unchecked it and then deleted it from the list seeing as I had no responses yet. (bad move on my part?)

Yes, it is an HP. (how'd you guess?lol)
    I went to where you said and here's what's in the 'Details' tab:

File description : launcher
    Type : Application
    File version : 1.0.0.10
    Product name : soft thinks launcher
    Product version : 1, 0, 0, 10
    Copyright: Copyright2006
    Size : 43.1KB
    Date modified: 24/11/2006 8:20PM
    Language: French(france)

(It's not exactly like that, I couldn't copy/paste, but that's what's there)

I'm guessing it has to do with my keyboard languages because when we setup the pc for the first time I chose to install english and french as I'm also french and need the accents at times.

thanks for the reply!

Yes,I think the blank entry should be safe.

Yes, it is an HP. (how'd you guess?lol)
    Psychic
    Lol,no,I saw that the SMINST folder seemed to be on a lot of HP computers when I was searching.
    soft thinks launcher seems to have something to do with SoftThinks PC Angel.
    Here's their webpage.
    http://www.softthinks.com/pc_angel.html

Also,this is on Castlecops services list:
    http://www.castlecops.com/o23list-2384.html
    If you go to C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\,you should probably see PCAngel.exe in there.
    hth.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2007-04-17 at 05:10.

thanks for the help again, yes that would make sense I guess it has to do with the built in recovery system.

Now seeing as I unchecked + deleted it from the list, would you say I've screwed something up by accident? Or did I do a good thing because I didn't need that thing launching itself at the startup anyway?

thanks

Actually,I'm unsure if that is required or not,as it doesn't seem to be listed on Castlecops startup list.About the only thing I can tell you about it is that it is in a lot of logs,and only seems to be present on computers with Vista OS.
    It shows as this:
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe

Also,my mistake,the 023 service doesn't seem to be present on the Vista OS computers when I looked,so you may not see PCAngel.exe in the SMINST folder.:
    http://www.castlecops.com/o23list-2384.html

If you are in doubt,you could always restore to a recent restore point,if you haven't made many major changes recently,and that startup entry should be back.
    Or you could contact HP and ask them exactly what launcher.exe is,and whether it's required.:
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/ca/en/contact_us.html

the system runs fine I dont think i'll bother with either...

I actually tried to restore to a couple of different restore points for fun and when the pc restarts and arrives back at desktop it tell me tells me something along the lines of 'restore has encountered an error no changes have been made', which I also found odd... unless I'm doing something wrong.

anyways thanks for all the help!

You're welcome. If you run into any problems,please post back.

There's a page here about restore failing,if you need to troubleshoot that in the future.I put the XP link up,because the Vista 'Restore fails' link just says the article applies to Vista also.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html