Hello

I am posting on these Forums because the one where I received assistance is closed for the Holidays and I would like some input on new issues with my XP SpyAxe infected computer.

I had believed that this scourge had been removed from my system but apparently this is not so.

After receiving a "Clean Bill of Health" I shut that computer down. Today when I turned it on my first action was to download updates for my various Security programs.

I started with Norton AntiVirus only to find on restart that my Norton had been sabotaged! I needed to Fix 5 issues but could not. Live Update seemed to work but Norton indicated this Fix had not been successful. None of my Auto Protect features could be turned on. I was also unable to complete a Full System Scan.

I next went to my start>Turn Off Computer and noticed that something resembling the SpyAxe Shield had attached itself to the "Turn Off" Option. The note reads, "Click Turn Off to install important updates and turn off your computer. Click here to turn off without installing updates."

Needless to say I have renewed concerns especially with regards to Shutting Down my Computer.

Also, I checked for Windows Updates and what I found was also alarming. Apparently there are 3 High-priority updates for my computer (KB910437, KB905915 and KB890830) but they all show 0KB to download with the message (Downloaded; ready to install) and all have a publish date of 12/13/2005. Call me paranoid but this all seems very odd! Can I even trust that I am at a legitimate site? Or is this, another SpyAxe trick? To be on the safe side I didn't do anything. I don't know for sure but I believe that at the time I had turned the computer off these updates would not have even been available. So how could I have even downloaded them? And not installed them? I know I only found them today and took NO action at all. I also know with my Windows 98 computer I have to authorize a download but I don't know about Windows XP. Would it automatically download but not install? And it is my belief that installs require a restart NOT a Shut Down?

Anyway, next I used ewido security suite; found and installed updates; did a scan which found "2" NEW Hijacker.SpyAxe files which had previously not been found. After cleaning these I did a restart and my Norton Status was once again green (Good).

I’m still afraid my computer is a lost cause. I’m afraid to do a Shut Down and it is now going to be scheduled for a reformat thanks to the malicious &*%$&# that thinks it is fun to cost innocents their hard earned money.

I just thought I would bring this further SpyAxe infection issue to everyones attention as well, if anyone can enlighten me regarding how exactly I should expect the Windows Update to work and if this patches/fixes are legit?

Thanks in advance for any help