Thread: how to detect fake alerts:help

Question how to detect fake alerts:help

Hi,
    I have installed different applications for optimizing my Win2000 register.
    Now SpyBot has warned me about a supposed threat named RegistryOptimizer.
    I clicked the fix-it button and all seemed going well.
    Subsequent immediate scan revealed the pest removed.
    After few days, following several registry cleaning and packing actions, with all my 3 registry tools, SpyBot scan found out again the supposed pest.
    In a forum, I forgot what, I happened to read that SpyBot alert was calling registerOptimizer a Win32 trojan or similar.
    But I suspect it actually calls as pest one of my reg cleaning applications. The scan report does not help me in tracing where the supposed pest is filed.
    What can I do?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

After doing a "Check for problems" or a "Fix selected problems", if you expand the detection (+ to the left of the detection) it should show the registry entry or file being detected as RegistryOptimizer.

If post a log of the actual detections you are getting maybe someone can help you determine what is being detected and the reason for the detection. To do that:
    • Run another scan.
    • When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
    • Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread.

Also, if you mention what three registry tools you use, that may help.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.