Thread: Show log option not working

Default Show log option not working

Hi, when I right click on the teatimer icon, and select "show log", nothing happens. Looking in process explorer, notepad.exe doesn't open. All other options are working, but I do have the problem where spybot disappears just before the end of a scan. Probably not related to this though.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident, is the log displayed?

The "Resident" information is stored in a file named "Resident.log" in one of the following folders:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ Logs
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

Do you have a file named "Resident.log"?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi,
    There is no log displayed in resident, and archive logs option is grayed out (if you know what I mean)
    There is no file called resident log in spybots application files folder.

I do run CCleaner occasionally, would that be it?
    Do you think creating a file called resident.log would fix it? ie would spybot recognize it, and start writing logs to it?

Thanks, argus

The Resident.log should automatically be created when there is TeaTimer activity.

Did you ever click on the "Archive log" button? If so the Resident.log is renamed to Resident.yymmdd-hhmm.log and a new Resident.log file should be created when there is new TeaTimer activity.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi, I checked today, and there was a log, with two entries in it.

I am at a bit of a loss to explain why it wasn't here yesterday though, do you know what exactly CCleaner removes if spybot is ticked under the application tab?

Ccleaner removes the resident.log when you have Spybot checked,if I remember correctly(I don't have ccleaner anymore).Looks like it removed checks,fixes,resident and update downloads logs,according to my old thread here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/archive/index.php/t-3407.html

I personally do not use ccleaner. Some of the items ccleaner removes were identified by Zenobia in this thread:

I believe that if you look in the C:\Program Files\CCleaner\winapp.ini file you can see what is being removed. Open the C:\Program Files\CCleaner\winapp.ini file with Notepad. Scroll down to SpyBot Search and Destroy (or do a find on it). If the following entry is still in the winapp.ini file then all files in the Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs directory will be deleted:

Code:
    FileKey1=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs|*.*