Thread: Spybot backup recovery

Unhappy Spybot backup recovery

Hi

Can you help me

I have deleted somthing from spybot but now want it back on my pc. I went into the recovery option thinking it would be in there but the only items in there was my last removal on the 19/05.

Could you advise why this has happened please?

Thank you
    Last edited by KMJAR; 2007-05-26 at 22:14. Reason: spelling mistakes

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

What did you fix?

Spybot does not create recovery files for cookies and some other minor items. The storing of other recovery files is controlled by settings within Spybot that are normally checked by default.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings, scroll down to Main settings and verify that the following three items are checked:
    • Main settings
      □ …
      ■ Create backups of fixed spyware problems for easy recovery
      ■ Create backups of removed usage tracks for easy recovery
      ■ Create backups of fixed system internal problems for easy recovery
      □ …

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Red face

Well, I needed to check what I actully deleted I think it was some cookies and adware or something I am just being cautious incase I break my PC thats all.

I have checked the settings and they are all ticked so I think they would be classed as miner.

It was just that when I used this the first time the items went into the recovery option and I thought mine was broke.

Thanks for your quick response

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.txt logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.txt log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

There are two methods to review that information:
    • Method 1:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Pervious reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.txt or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt file from when you did the scan/fix. Open it.
    • Method 2
      • The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.txt and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt files are stored in the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows Vista:
          C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.txt or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up

Hi,

Thank you
    now I can check any of my fixes and checks on spybot
    and have learned how to use it a lot more.

Thanks again for all your help and advise.

How are these removed files replaced through spybot to restore original settings?