Thread: spybot freezes .....help

Default spybot freezes .....help

hello , i dunno why tht spybot SD freezes whenever i scan up to the coolwww web serch (about 6000 and smth ) , and i couldnt delete my temp files using the file shredder , spybot SD will just freeze , how can i solve these problems ?????

Hello,

This could be caused by several reasons like an old Spybot version, too much temporary files or problems with the system restore point.

In case you are using a dated version of Spybot-S&D, as a first solution, please download the latest version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4. This should fix the problem. You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    Please search for new updates after installing Spybot S&D 1.4.

If this doesn't help please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder and try it again: For that purpose, please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder" from the drop down menu on the top (hit the small arrow next to templates). Then "Chop it away!"

If the shredder freezes:
    Are there big files in your temp folder?
    Some users have reported that the Secure Shredder freeze if they shred big files.
    They also have told us that if they close the tool with the Taskmanager and then open it again,
    some files are shredded and that they could use it normally again after that.
    Can you confirm this?

If you like, we would recommend an other tool for deleting sensitive data. The tool "Eraser".

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

You can also try the following:
    - select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs"
    - exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
    - run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Unhappy same thing

mine freezes at about 6900 and all the cures haven't worked...I tried safe mode, I tried turning off McAfee, I tried changing the settings, I've uninstalled and reinstalled.....I'ce just about decided to give up

Hello,

If you are running Spybot - Search & Destroy on a system that has Hyperthreading Technology (HTT) please read the following thread:

Spybot-S&D will not complete a scan?
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=110

Here is another post that might help:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...90&postcount=4

Some users have reported this problem and we are working on a solution.
    But we weren't able to recreate the problem yet. Probably it is a compatibility problem.
    Can you please tell us some details - which other antispyware/antivirus solutions you are using.
    Perhaps the problem is with Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware or Avast.
    If you do have this softwares please try to deactivate their resident shield temporarely during the scan with Spybot.

Further did you close all other applications while scanning with Spybot - Search & Destroy?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Another patient reporting sick here...

I too am now suffering from a freeze at 6039...

I've tried the measures you suggested, but no go. Could the problem be in the latest batch of updates...?

Default affinity?

There is no "set affinity" in task manager/ processes on my computer

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

lex142:

If you do not have a "Set Affinity" then you do not have HyperThreading Technology (HTT), so that is not the problem.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hello,

Did you also tried in safe mode?
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

You can try the following to get the scan to work, but you'll have to do it each time you use the program.

- Open Spybot-S&D, then leave it alone
    - Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
    - Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Priority..."
    - On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
    - Go back to the already-open Spybot-S&D, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

This can also be done like this:
    Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode".
    Now select "Settings" -->"Settings" from the navigation bar on the left.
    Under "Main Settings" you will find the point "Scan priority".
    There you should choose "Lower" by ticking the checkbox.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra thanks.

In safe mode, it scans OK. When following both your other suggestions, it still sticks every time at "6030/70155 coolwwwsearch". But with the lower priority settings it does at least respond to "Stop check", which it didn't before!

Interesting (for me at any rate!) is that I have three machines, all running the same background stuff, but it's only the one which starting freezing after I updated in mid-June...

BINGO!!! A friend (who wishes to remain anonymous, but is well-known in distributed computing circles for his general madness and rejoices under the nickname Necronomicon) suggested I do the following:

I read your posts on the Spybot Forum and have devised a necronomic solution for you!

Based on the too many temporary files statement they made, I would empty the temp files either using CCleaner or go to MyComputer, right click on your windows drive i.e. "c" then "Properties" then "Disk cleanup"

Once you have done that I would chkdsk the drive either by the same right click "Properties" then the next tab i.e. Tools etc (don't forget to select the tick box "automatically fix file system errors" ). The computer will chkdsk on next boot (do this as many times as it takes to put the disk right)

The other way (preferable because you see all the messages) is Start/Run/type "cmd" in the Dos box, type "chkdsk c:" and see what the message is after the disc has been checked: does it say you need to use the "fix" switch? If it does then run the normal one (chkdsk c: ) a couple more times for good measure and see what it says. Then type chkdsk c:/f and you will get it to check on reboot (don't forget to say yes) (type "exit" to close the Dos box). Once rebooted repeat with chkdsk c: and see whether the machine is still telling you to "fix"! Sometimes if the file system is completely ****ered it can take a while to unravel it all.

So you have emptied all your temporary files and run chkdsk lots of times to correct all the disk ****eration so now do a Defrag for good measure! Then try Spybot again.
    I had to go through 3 cycles of the chkdsk c: then chkdsk c: /f procedure, but Lo and Behold! Spybot then scanned happily right the way through.

HTH!