Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help ... Unable to search for updates

Default Help ... Unable to search for updates

First of all I apologize if i missplaced this thread but i have a problem. I am unable to search for updates for Spybot - S&D 1.4.

I keep getting an error:

"Error retrieving update info file!

Socket Error # 10060
    Connection timed out."

My LAN connection uses an automatic proxy configuration URL.
    Any ideas?

Thanks and sorry for my english

Hello,

Please take a look at the security settings of your firewall (if you are using one) and make sure that Spybot-S&D is not blocked. That should help to get into the updates. If Spybot-S&D is not blocked it is also possible that our server is temporarily not available. Please try again a few hours later.

If this does not help please download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I just installed 1.6.0.30

When I click on update the button responds to the click but then absolutely nothing happens. No response at all other than the button showing that it was depressed.

Is this normal? Isnt there some kind of message even if there are no updates to process?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Ncguy:

This is a very old thread that you posted in and therefore any prior posts are irrelevant to any problems being encountered beyond Spybot 1.4.

When you go into Spybot » Update (Spybot 1.5/1.6) it normally starts another program (SDUpdate.exe). SDUpdate.exe normally opens its own window (GUI). Is there any indication the SDUpdate.exe is attempting to start?

Other helpful information:
    • Windows OS you are running.
    • Is SDUpdate.exe authorized to access the internet via your firewall and if this is a upgrade from a prior version of Spybot (Spybot 1.5+) was the firewall reset (if required) for the upgrade to to the new version of SDUpdate.exe

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Ncguy:

This is a very old thread that you posted in and therefore any prior posts are irrelevant to any problems being encountered beyond Spybot 1.4.

When you go into Spybot » Update (Spybot 1.5/1.6) it normally starts another program (SDUpdate.exe). SDUpdate.exe normally opens its own window (GUI). Is there any indication the SDUpdate.exe is attempting to start?

Other helpful information:
    • Windows OS you are running.
    • Is SDUpdate.exe authorized to access the internet via your firewall and if this is a upgrade from a prior version of Spybot (Spybot 1.5+) was the firewall reset (if required) for the upgrade to to the new version of SDUpdate.exe
    Actually I'm running Vista ultimate with Sp1.

It was an upgrade from an older version of Spybot. I installed on top of the older version.

SDUpdate is permitted in my NAV 2008 firewall. As far as resets, I've never had to do that and I'm not really sure how to do that other than to reboot which was done. Also, I tried turning off the firewall and that didnt seem to help. Dont know what else to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ncguy View Post
    As far as resets, I've never had to do that and I'm not really sure how to do that other than to reboot which was done.
    No need to turn off the firewall.

I think the problem there is that you installed over the previous version. Not good . However, there is a solution.

Go the the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window (I'm not sure what it is called in Vista) and uninstall BOTH entries.

First undo the immunization and disable TeaTimer and SDHELPER (this can be done in ADVANCED MODE).

Next uninstall both entries.
    --
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
    --

Save the "small fix" as indicated by the article and right-click (it should be saved directly to the desktop) and click MERGE. Click OK to both prompts.
    REBOOT the computer.

Install v. 1.6.

Lightbulb

Before I Installed my copy over SB RC2 earlier on today I de-activated the resident protection and un-immunized the HOSTS file then Installed it, rebooted when asked and followed the remaining steps when I finished the install within Spybot and everything was fine.

I did notice 1 little bug/glitch. When Spybot restarted it's self after installing all the updates the Load bar stayed at 98% for approx 30secs but on previous installs it was only like that for 10secs
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Ncguy:

... It was an upgrade from an older version of Spybot. I installed on top of the older version. ...
    It appears that you were experiencing some sort of problems (post # 19 in this thread):

Does anyone know if there has (or has not) been a resolution to this yet?
    You then asked:

I'm actually having the problem in 1.5.1.15. I think what you're saying is that it was fixed in 1.5.16? If that's the case I guess that should fix it for me.

Do I need to uninstall/reinstall or is it ok to install over the top when using vista? Just wondering if the setup options can be preserved?
    Then you were advised to:

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Just install 1.6 over the top and you should be alright.
    Advice that I personally take exception to, but you evidently followed.

Now you posted in this year old thread seeking addition help.

It is extremely difficulty to relate an ongoing problem from one thread to another particularly when the posts are add-ons to existing threads.

If you expect comprehensive help, I suggest that you start your own thread detailing the problems you encountered in chronological order (with version numbers etc.) so that someone is in a better position help you.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-07-08 at 23:16.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Ncguy:

It appears that you were experiencing some sort of problems (post # 19 in this thread):

You then asked:

Then you were advised to:

Advice that I personally take exception to, but you evidently followed.

Now you posted in this year old thread seeking addition help.

It is extremely difficulty to relate an ongoing problem from one thread to another particularly when the posts are add-ons to existing threads.

If you expect comprehensive help, I suggest that you start your own thread detailing the problems you encountered in chronological order (with version numbers etc.) so that someone is in a better position help you.
    Will do. Sorry but I'm new here.

Default do you have zonealarm?

if you can't access the Internet at all, see this thread if you have the zonealarm firewall. I had just upgraded to spybot 1.6 and thought it broke my Internet connection. But then i did some digging.....

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...559#post210559