Thread: Spybot finishes in 4 seconds

Default Spybot finishes in 4 seconds

When I run Spybot S&D 1.4, the program finishes up in 4 seconds and says "Congratulations, No immediate threats were found", but yet under that it shows that its found 20 things. But they are not the usual things.

Here is what it shows that its found:

Cache (1 entry)
    Common Dialogs (1 entry)
    Cookie (1 entry)
    Logs (17 entry's)

I cannot get it to run a full scan with 1.4 or 1.3. I was able to use Adaware, spysweeper and removed a few viruses with Avast, AVG and Mcafee. I just won't feel comfortable until I can run a full scan with Spybot.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

It sounds like you are only checking for Usage tracking.

During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar shows the following: "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
    • xxxxx = Current check count
    • yyyyy = Total check count
    • zzzzz = Malware being checked for

After the 2005-12-30 updates (without the ßDetection rules) the scan counts (yyyyy value) should be:
    • Without Usage tracks - 33422
    • With Usage tracks – 36021

If the counts are not correct:
    • Check and make sure Go into Spybot > Help > About. You should see the following:
      • Latest detection update: 2005-12-30
    • If you have the latest updates, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode (say "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Settings > File Sets. Make sure that everything is checked except the possibly the last two items. The last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them (I personally don't). The first of these two items (Usage Tracking) lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies and some Logs. The second is other "Usage Tracks".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Same problem when first instal

I was wondering, why is it that when you install spybot onto the computer first time round and download the updates that it only scans about 4 things and stops, the only way to get past this is to reboot then to run the program again and get it to scan again.

Not a big problem but i was just wondering if there is anyway to change the coding to get this running the scan first time after getting the updates?

Thanks so much, that was what the problem was.

I am working on this for a friend and he must have gone in and changed those settings at some point. I reinstalled it a few times but the install must not be installing with default settings, but uses the privious user settings. I'm not sure if that is by design or just some oversight.

I am pretty sure this machine is now virus free. I get rid of the viruses before I scan for spyware. But since Spybot was already installed, maybe a virus made the changes before or as I cleaned it.

Is there a way to revert Spybot back to their default settings to help troubleshoot these kinds of issues?

Thanks again.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crucifingers
    Is there a way to revert Spybot back to their default settings to help troubleshoot these kinds of issues?
    Actually there is but it is not a programmed feature and may reset other things that you want to keep.

Those settings are kept in the Configuration.ini file in one of the following locations:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

If you delete or rename that file with Spybot down and then start Spybot, Spybot will start with the default settings. When you exit Spybot the Configuration.ini will be recreated with the default settings or with whatever settings you changed while Spybot was running.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Question SpyBot just shuts down after about 4 seconds,too

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"][

I cannot run SpyBot & have the latest updates. It does show Spybot-SD Resident in my Taskbar but it will not run a scan fron that either.Also checked in advance mode to be sure "usage tracking" wasn't checked but it still closes after running a few seconds. I tried w/ McAfee Security Center disabled but that didn't help. Any suggestions - I have Zone Alarm- AdAware & MSSpyware. Would disabling any to run program help, possibly or try uninstall & reinstall of SpyBot? Thanks for any suggestions! :

Default Spybot S&D stops at NCast

This may not be helpful to anyone else, but having just got here I can't find a place to post a new thread. Basically I can do a Spybot check which completes, but only after excluding NCast in Advanced Mode. Otherwise the Running bot-check stops at (47009/75905:NCast) Can someone tell me what this means and what I should be doing - or else direct me to the right place for posting ?

Quote Originally Posted by FlaSunshine View Post
    I cannot run SpyBot & have the latest updates. It does show Spybot-SD Resident in my Taskbar but it will not run a scan fron that either.Also checked in advance mode to be sure "usage tracking" wasn't checked but it still closes after running a few seconds. I tried w/ McAfee Security Center disabled but that didn't help. Any suggestions - I have Zone Alarm- AdAware & MSSpyware. Would disabling any to run program help, possibly or try uninstall & reinstall of SpyBot? Thanks for any suggestions! :
    Spybot just shuts down after a couple seconds,no error messages or anything?
    Instead of disabling anything just yet,you could run a scan in safe mode since that'll limit what starts with Windows,and see if it will run through a scan without disappearing.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Are you having any other type of problems with your computer,malware problems,pop-ups or anything like that?

Just realized post was from last January.