Thread: Error report during scan

Default Error report during scan

Toward the end of a scan following the latest update (2007-06-13) I received this...

There were problems in the include file C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT-SEARCH_DESTROY\Includes\TrojansC.sbi
    See 'Include errors log' for details.

...and this is what I found in the 'Includes errors log'

C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\Includes\TrojansC.sbi | Zlob.DNSChanger | (85\.255\.11[0-9]{1}\.[0-9]{1,3}[.]?[\n]?)+

From what I have read elsewhere on the forum I assume that this has to do with the TCP\IP plug-in, but I would appreciate some advice regarding this.

I am running Win98 btw.

Hello,

It seems that you run an older version of Spybot - Search & Destroy or have not uninstalled an old version correctly.
    There have been some commands added to the new version Spybot-S&D 1.4. Some of the new detection rules do already employ these new commands - earlier versions cannot resolve them which is why the error message comes up.

So, please download the current version from one of our mirrors. You can install this new version right over your existing version but in order to avoid compatibility issues, please remove the following folders before: Spybot folder\Includes\ (e.g. C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\) Spybot folder\Updates\ (e.g. C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\) You will also have to update your new version using the integrated udpater. This should solve the problem.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Earthling Series #6:

That looks like the same error that I received when I ran last weeks beta rule set without the beta "TCP/IP Settings plugin". See:

It appears that the both the detection that caused my error and the "TCP/IP Settings plugin" have been moved from the beta updates to the regular updates.

If you are running Spybot-S&D 1.4 (not sure about Spybot-S&D 1.3) downloading the following update using the integrated update facility should resolve the problem:
    • TCP/IP Settings plugin - !TCP/IP Settings plugin (65 KB) - 2007-06-06

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hello spybotsandra and md usa spybot fan, thanks for your replies.

It's definitely not the version of Spybot I'm using that's the problem. I've been with 1.4 since it's day of release. However, I'm a little confused by the issue of the TCP/IP Settings plugin. Is that the plugin that I believe I downloaded with todays updates? Strangely, or not as the case may be, the plugins folder is empty but I do have a plugtcpip.zip file (size 66kb, dated 06/06/07) in the updates folder.

I've also just checked further for updates, but nothing offers itself apart from beta updates.

Earthling Series #6:

Going from my experience with the beta installation (the download is not reoffered if you already downloaded the beta) this is what should have occurred:
    • After the successful download of the "TCP/IP Settings plugin" (plugtcpip.zip - which contains two (2) files (install-plug1.ini and TCPIPAddress.dll), the update routine should have:
      1. Extracted the TCPIPAddress.dll file into the following directory/folder (assuming the default installation directory/folder was used):
        • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Plugins
      2. Restarted SpybotSD.exe so that the new TCPIPAddress.dll was loaded in SpybotSD.exe.

I don't know what problem occurred with your installation of the TCPIPAddress.dll file, but apparently something did. There are several ways to overcome the problem. I could explain how to force the download again, but that is relatively hard to explain and may result in the same problem.

Try the following:
    • Unzip (extract) the plugtcpip.zip file that's in your update folder to some known location.
    • Then copy the TCPIPAddress.dll from that location into the Plugins folder.
    • Make sure that you restart SpybotSD.exe (if running) before attempting a scan again.

If you run into any problems, I should be able to provide you with a copy of the TCPIPAddress.dll file (zipped).
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-06-13 at 20:33. Reason: Grammar/format corrections

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

md usa spybot fan,

That sorted it. Something clearly went awry during the earlier updating procedure, but it scans fine now.

Many thanks for your assistance.

I have the same message this comp is winxp I'm on version 1.4 have been for a long time and updated today.

The tcp/ip settings is in the list for updating but I only ever update the detections so I left it. Will this be sorted as easily as dowloading this update without doing anything else?

onesexylady:

Quote Originally Posted by onesexylady View Post
    Will this be sorted as easily as dowloading this update without doing anything else?
    It should be. Try it and let us know if the download resolved your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by onesexylady View Post
    ... but I only ever update the detections so I left it.
    As a general rule I recommend that you don't second guess the authors of the program by selectively picking and choosing among the updates. There is a reason that they updated those files. If you have a question regarding a specific update you can post in this forum and ask. Otherwise, I suggest that you download everything listed when you do a "Search of Updates".

Thankyou yes it worked

onesexylady:

I'm glad that all is well and thanks for confirming that not downloading the "TCP/IP Settings plugin" was the cause of your problem.

Regards,
    md usa spybot fan