Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
I have 5 computers running spybot S&D 1.4 on xp

I have one notebook computer, xp pro sp2 running Windows Firewall only and yes IE explorer is in and checked in Windows Firewall exception list. I ran the scan in spybot and it also came up with the vulnerability. Before i ran the scan I went into the firewall and unchecked IE Explorer to see what would happen- then ran the scan. As said it still showed the vulnerability.

I allowed spybot to fix it. I checked to make sure i am still on the network and I am. I cannot find where you ask Windows Firewall to ask you for that specific file if i find I need to run any online scans so please tell me where this is besides IE Explorer is no longer in the list of exceptions so now what?

I have another xp pro computer on the network but it is in use right now and i cannot run the scan on it as of yet. Before i do I would like to understand how to configure the Windows Firewall to ask again for IE and not authorize permanently.

Also if one is NOT on a network and only running Windows Firewall I am safely to assume you can allow spybot to fix? and if on a network I am also safely to assume this should not effect the network if I allow it to fix too? correct?

thanks
Robin
Robin,

My first recommendation to you is to stop using Windows Firewall on the one notebook computer as it is pretty much garbage and not worth much in the way of protection. The AVG Pro and Zone Alarm are both good firewalls. I would put Zone Alarm on the notebook and stick with it, then let Spybot S & D fix the issue, then you don't have to worry about it. If you have a computer that is not on a network, but does access the internet, you still want to fix it if it is your only firewall. It will not effect how your network operates. The only thing this fixes is stopping inbound requests that you DID NOT initiate. Let Spybot fix it, then let your other firewall protect you. You're much better off that way. Hope this helps, if not, post again and I'll try to explain a bit better.

Tony