Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft.Windows.AppFirewallBypass

Cool Windows Firewall

Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    I have 5 computers running spybot S&D 1.4 on xp

I have one notebook computer, xp pro sp2 running Windows Firewall only and yes IE explorer is in and checked in Windows Firewall exception list. I ran the scan in spybot and it also came up with the vulnerability. Before i ran the scan I went into the firewall and unchecked IE Explorer to see what would happen- then ran the scan. As said it still showed the vulnerability.

I allowed spybot to fix it. I checked to make sure i am still on the network and I am. I cannot find where you ask Windows Firewall to ask you for that specific file if i find I need to run any online scans so please tell me where this is besides IE Explorer is no longer in the list of exceptions so now what?

I have another xp pro computer on the network but it is in use right now and i cannot run the scan on it as of yet. Before i do I would like to understand how to configure the Windows Firewall to ask again for IE and not authorize permanently.

Also if one is NOT on a network and only running Windows Firewall I am safely to assume you can allow spybot to fix? and if on a network I am also safely to assume this should not effect the network if I allow it to fix too? correct?

thanks
    Robin
    Robin,

My first recommendation to you is to stop using Windows Firewall on the one notebook computer as it is pretty much garbage and not worth much in the way of protection. The AVG Pro and Zone Alarm are both good firewalls. I would put Zone Alarm on the notebook and stick with it, then let Spybot S & D fix the issue, then you don't have to worry about it. If you have a computer that is not on a network, but does access the internet, you still want to fix it if it is your only firewall. It will not effect how your network operates. The only thing this fixes is stopping inbound requests that you DID NOT initiate. Let Spybot fix it, then let your other firewall protect you. You're much better off that way. Hope this helps, if not, post again and I'll try to explain a bit better.

Tony

Default M.S. message

I remember an issue similiar to this sometime ago.
    Your answer was clear which non techs like myself appreciate.
    Thank you

Got the same two IE Firewall Bypass detections -- no clear yes or no answer from the mods yet as to what to do about it. I use AVG security suite, not Windows Firewall, so went ahead and let the trusted Spybot fix what it found.

Spybot user since ~2001, thanx for this great security product and maintenance work. (yes, i donated )

---
    Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass: Settings (Registry value, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List\C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass: Settings (Registry value, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List\C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.4 (build: 20050523) ---
    Folding for Life

Hi,

I am not at all saavy about any of this.

I just did a SBS&D and it gave me the following result:

Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass: Settings (Registry value, fixed)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List\C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List\C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

Help! What does this mean? I told SBS&D to fix it, since I assume that the program is suggesting to me that there is a problem that could compromise the security of my computer.

Can someone explain to me if I did the right thing, and what this means?

Thank you so much for your patience and assistance.

hi,

these :

are only of concern if you use the Windows firewall, all other firewalls are not affected by this.

Normally the Internet Explorer does not need to be authorized for the Windows firewall. It is only required for special purposes, like online virus scanners. If you just surf normally, you should let Spybot fix this, since it can be a security issue with malicious/hacked websites.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Great, thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    Normally the Internet Explorer does not need to be authorized for the Windows firewall. It is only required for special purposes, like online virus scanners.
    One of the things that has baffled many of us who have been alerted to this by Spybot is that we don't have any idea how IE came to be included in our Windows firewall exceptions list (we don't believe malware has been responsible). I wonder if here you might have given us an answer? Certainly in the past I have used several online scanners at a time when I was only using the Windows firewall - is this a possible explanation as to how this exception got into the list? If the online scanner requested access, and the Windows firewall asked for permission and we gave it, and if we then forgot that incident afterwards (very likely), the result would be the mysterious entry that we now see. Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan D View Post
    Certainly in the past I have used several online scanners at a time when I was only using the Windows firewall - is this a possible explanation as to how this exception got into the list? If the online scanner requested access, and the Windows firewall asked for permission and we gave it, and if we then forgot that incident afterwards (very likely), the result would be the mysterious entry that we now see. Does this make sense?
    hello,

yes this makes sense and is the most likely explanation. I hope you have not been too confused by this. The description will also be updated with the next update.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    hello,

yes this makes sense and is the most likely explanation. I hope you have not been too confused by this. The description will also be updated with the next update.
    I'm very appreciative for all of these comments and the responsible way they are presented; I certainly was convicted to allow Spygot S&D to fix the problem and the internet is still alive and well; I haven't done a reboot yet, so I suppose that's the proof of the pudding so to speak; I have so many partitions and multiboot MBRs so I'll just have to remember to do this download again on the other MBR partitions; one thing I do with regularity and that is to get internet streaming radio from WABC in NYC...I'm on the west coast, that is.

We shall see.

Default Re-scanned and at least the problem is (((gone))))

So, I'm hoping that problem is cured and it was something relatively new and recent and is now, gone...I have a couple other bootable partitions that I'll try on another day and come back to this one.