Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TrojansC.Sbi

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

srxy1:

Thank you for confirming that my temporary workaround actually works.

Hopefully the "TCP/IP Settings plugin" will be added to the Downloads Web pages soon.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

The TCP/IP Settings plugin has been added to the Downloads Web pages as the following item:
    • TCP/IP Plugin 1.0 - product description - product description
      md5: 7FD95B7E814EA2F56AEACE3613B4A0E9

This adds capabilities to find and replace malicious network settings. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    The TCP/IP Settings plugin has been added to the Downloads Web pages as the following item:

This adds capabilities to find and replace malicious network settings. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
    Still not sure why the two are linked? Why is it necessary to install the TCP/IP Plugin to be able top apply the latest Trojans update file and not have an error? I'm glad that this will fix my error (was getting the same one), but don't understand the dependency. None of the other updates seemed to have a linkage to this one?

Jay S.

Jay_S:

From the following pinned (Sticky) thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    hi,

some malware (for instance Zlob.DNSChanger) are able to change the computer's TCP/IP settings. In case of Zlob.DNSChanger bad DNS Servers are entered.
    The TCP/IP settings plugin enables Spybot to use new rules which can detect IP addresses entered by malware and exchange them with non harmful entries.

Further plugins will enable Spybot to increase its set of rules and rule parameters without the need for a new main update. Thus the plugins make Spybot more flexible.

Jay_S:

From the following pinned (Sticky) thread:
    Thanks, but I'm still not sure why they're connected. From an earlier post of yours..

"This adds capabilities to find and replace malicious network settings. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D."

If it is only needed if you don't want to use the update function, why does the Trojans update have this error if you do use the update function? Also, shouldn't there be something on the TCP/IP plugin that indicates it is a required update if you want to run through the Trojans update cleanly?

Jay S.
    Last edited by Jay_S; 2007-06-20 at 17:48.

Jay_S:

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_S View Post
    Thanks, but I'm still not sure why they're connected. From an earlier post of yours..

"This adds capabilities to find and replace malicious network settings. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D."

If it is only needed if you don't want to use the update function, why does the Trojans update have this error if you do use the update function?
    You need the TCP/IP plugin with the new rule set included in beta updates on 2007-06-06 and regular updates on 2007-06-13 or else you will get an error.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post

The TCP/IP settings plugin enables Spybot to use new rules which can detect IP addresses entered by malware and exchange them with non harmful entries. …
    To download and install the TCP/IP plugin you either have to:
    1. Download the following update using the integrated update facility:
      • TCP/IP Settings plugin - !TCP/IP Settings plugin (65 KB) - 2007-06-06

--- or (if you do not use the integrated update facility) ---

2. Download and execute the following item from the Downloads Web page:

Also, shouldn't there be something on the TCP/IP plugin that indicates it is a required update if you want to run through the Trojans update cleanly?
    Possibly, but I don't any control over that. I imagine that it is assumed that you download all the updates listed and not pick and choose among them. How do you suggest that be accomplished? Change the update from:

To:
    • TCP/IP Settings plugin - !TCP/IP Settings plugin (65 KB) (Required update if you want to run through the Trojans update cleanly) - 2007-06-06

Jay_S:

You need the TCP/IP plugin with the new rule set included in beta updates on 2007-06-06 and regular updates on 2007-06-13 or else you will get an error.

To download and install the TCP/IP plugin you either have to:
    1. Download the following update using the integrated update facility:

--- or (if you do not use the integrated update facility) ---

2. Download and execute the following item from the Downloads Web page:

Possibly, but I don't any control over that. I imagine that it is assumed that you download all the updates listed and not pick and choose among them. How do you suggest that be accomplished? Change the update from:

To:
    • TCP/IP Settings plugin - !TCP/IP Settings plugin (65 KB) (Required update if you want to run through the Trojans update cleanly) - 2007-06-06
    I suppose (to your last point) something like that would be helpful. I'm not the only one that didn't download the TCP/IP update initially. Since they are selectable, this was a situation where one option required another.

Jay S.

Also, shouldn't there be something on the TCP/IP plugin that indicates it is a required update if you want to run through the Trojans update cleanly?
    How do you suggest that be accomplished? Change the update from:

To:
    I suppose (to your last point) something like that would be helpful.
    Then suggest it, because I certainly won't.

Esteemed Member

This is just another situation that points up that there are two major types of users, the type that care what each update file does and those who just want it to work. Unfortunately, both types tend to make bad decisions in cases such as this as has been clearly displayed here.

When this update released, I simply installed it because I knew that Team Spybot didn't release it for no reason and it had some purpose, so I never had this problem. However, when everyone started asking about it, I used FileAlyzer to investigate the TCP/IP Settings plugin and quickly understood what it did, though I thought the name itself made that fairly clear in the first place.

Whether you use a specific portion of the program or not, you should always download all updates, since there are often dependancies and you can always disable any optional components separately anyway. This is important in case you ever choose later to enable one of these other modules such as TeaTimer, since it might be out of date otherwise.

Personally, I believe it's time to admit that most users of Spybot S&D are no longer knowledgeable programmers and simply hide the update 'list' and automatically download them all. Only the language specific optional updates should be listed, by language title only, with all required files updated for each language selected. This is the simplest way to keep everyone from making useless mistakes that simply cause issues for themselves and add to the support burden.

Bitman

Default Help Please

Download the following update using the integrated update facility:
    Sorry, but I am old and not tech savvy. I have this same problem, how do I implement the above fix?

Please, if you respond, I will need simple step by step insructions!

Many thanks.