Thread: spybot freeze

Default spybot freeze

i have recently acquired two trojan horses (ldemlog.exe and sphlp32.exe), or so AVG tells me. the problem is it will only identify them and cannot delete, heal, or quarantine either virus. i have run several other programs and am still unable to correct the problem. i have updated my spybot program, but it stalls out at the beginning of the system scan, during the bot check. in the bottom left corner of the screen i get this information:

running bot-check (646/36024: Central 24)

and this is where it freezes. and help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

kevin

Hello Kevin,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default spybot saga

sandra,

i am running Spybot-SD Resident, Version 1.3

i have spent the last day and a half reading other forums, especially in the malware section. i am only so competent in the virus removal area, specializing in doing whatever it is the programs i run tell me to

so you know, i am operating XP home and i have the following anti-bad stuff programs on my computer:
    avg, spybot, ad-aware, a squared, recently acquired trial version of trend micro pc-cillin, and spyware doctor. i have run multiple scans from all programs, some of which are unable to complete, unable to update, unable to heal, etc. all the programs i mentioned are the most recent versions. from what i have read it seems i need to produce some kind of log to post for futher analyzation, but i am not too familiar with that procedure as of yet. thanks for your time and help. please let me know what other information i can provide.

kevin

Hello,

Please download the latest version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4. This should fix the problem. You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    Please search for new updates after installing Spybot S&D 1.4.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

sandra,

thank you for your help. i have downloaded the new version, but....i am unable to update through the program. i went around this problem by downloading updates directly from the website, which seems to have helped...a little. i have been running spybot for almost two hours now and it is only about 10 percent of the way through. i have shut down most other processes, and have only now come onto the internet to relay this message. the scan originally hung up on the same spot as version 1.3, but it has since moved on. at this rate it will take nearly 20 hours to complete, so something is clearly still wrong. again, thanks for your time and help.

kevin

sandra,

just to let you know my progress. spybot has been running the last six hours and i am now at about 60 percent complete. so there seems to be some progress, although i clearly have issues. thanks for your help.