Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.5 beta bugs and false positives.

Esteemed Member

First, I assume you have Windows XP and that its main folder is C:\Windows.

I don't have those messages either with 1.4 or 1.5. Although I don't normally use the Spybot HOSTS file (I use the one from mvps.org), I just tried adding Spybot's and removing it, and that all worked smoothly.

The path in the first two error message is obviously wrong. As shown, it looks as if it was looking for the Windows folder (%systemroot%) and its subfolders as a subfolder of

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

and obviously could not find it there.

I don't know why it is doing that on your system, but I don't think it means there is anything necessaily wrong with your HOSTS file per se (it is just a text file, any errors in it would just be ignored), rather that somewhere or other the path to it has got badly mangled. It should just be

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    or
    %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

I don't know for sure, but possibly the other messages you are getting with version 1.5 are as a rseult of the initial error, and would not appear if that were corrected.

When in Spybot, advanced mode, Tools, Hosts file page, does it show the current contents of you HOSTS file (before you click on Add Spybot's hosts list)?

You could check with Windows Explorer, see if the HOSTS file is in the correct place, and only there (you may need to first go to control panel, folder options, view tab, check show hidden files and folders, uncheck hide extensions for known file types, uncheck hide protected operating system files (click yes to any warning message), click Apply OK).
    If you want to search for it, click start, search, for files or folders. In the search window, left panel, click on mor advanced options, check the first three boxes. then search your hard drive for hosts. The hosts file has no extension. If you find it, it should open in Notepad. Apart from comment lines which start with a #, the first line should be

127.0.0.1 localhost

thereafter there may be a list of entries (with or without comment lines starting with #) of the form

127.0.0.1 ad.a8.net

the first part should always be 127.0.0.1, the second part is the domain name of the site that is to be redirected.

If you find more than one file called HOSTS without a file extension (the bit after the . in most file names), delete all that are not in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

Esteemed Member

Another minor hiccup.

When fixing a flagged system internals, the browse button does not work.

Also I think the item is incorrectly flagged. The path string gives the correct file, but without its extension and with a switch. That is a permissible way for software to point to its file, but of course if one simply tries to match the string to file names it will appear to be wrong. See pic.

Incidentally, I uninstalled the original beta and installed the one fro PepiMek's link in this thread, but the build number is the same (--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.5 (build: 20070525) ---.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenfeld View Post
    ... but the build number is the same (--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.5 (build: 20070525) ---.
    How do you know the build number (or date) you have installed?

When I select Help -> About, I get
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5

Latest detection update: 06-13-2007
    No build number anywhere I can see...

May I make an enhancement request here? From above post
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5

Latest detection update: 06-13-2007
    I don't like this (American) date format; to me this is immensely confusing.

Could you change that to the specified system date format; e.g. mine is set to YYYY/MM/DD, so I normally see all dates in this format 2007/06/19.

@k357mag: the updater window is a separate updater application. That was done mostly for Vista, or better: to separate processes that need different rights (updating always needs admin rights). And updating is easier to schedule this way.

Close on OK: not a bad idea, I'll try how that "feels" when using it
    TeaTimer icon thing: the registry value is no problem at all (added both in HKCU and HKLM). An "official" checkbox for it is something I just fear would cause a lot of reports "my icon has gone"

@Rosenfeld: the build date is usually related to the scan engine, which hasn't changed. Good point to increase this number though.
    Since this is intended mostly for internal use (e.g. if specific detections needs some engine changes identified by build number), I've updated the version number on the info page to show completely (e.g. 1.5.1.12).

I've updated the file recognition algo to be the same as in RunAlyzer, which understands such situations. The browse button is a bug of the default file open dialog, which just doesn't open if it doesn't recognize a file (not sure if this is a Windows or Delphi problem). I'll change this to pass the file path detected through the method mentioned earlier.

@pwillener: the build number is on logs (Tools -> View Report). You can also hover the mouse over the version number where you found the detection update date as well.

The date thing is a good point of course, I immediately updated that.

----

Or to compile those changes into a list:
    • Update date format on info page now localized
    • Displayed app version is now four digits (e.g. 1.5.1.12)
    • Improved Sys Internals file location algo
    • Improved hosts file location algo
    • Added TeaTimer hide icon (disabled) registry value in installer
    I'm still looking for reports in other places before making the changes available though
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    @k357mag: the updater window is a separate updater application. That was done mostly for Vista, or better: to separate processes that need different rights (updating always needs admin rights). And updating is easier to schedule this way.

Close on OK: not a bad idea, I'll try how that "feels" when using it
    TeaTimer icon thing: the registry value is no problem at all (added both in HKCU and HKLM). An "official" checkbox for it is something I just fear would cause a lot of reports "my icon has gone"

----

Or to compile those changes into a list:
    • Update date format on info page now localized
    • Displayed app version is now four digits (e.g. 1.5.1.12)
    • Improved Sys Internals file location algo
    • Improved hosts file location algo
    • Added TeaTimer hide icon (disabled) registry value in installer
    I'm still looking for reports in other places before making the changes available though
    Hey thanks Pepi! I understand the fears you have with that icon accidentally missing cause some may not know what the option is that they have choosen. But having the keys already there, would be great so advanced users could still select this as a option.

I am now getting the latest updates and will continue to work with it. Is there some other area you are looking for comments on, so I can focus on that?

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwillener View Post
    How do you know the build number (or date) you have installed?

When I select Help -> About, I get

No build number anywhere I can see...
    After a scan, advanced mode, Tools, view report. It's in there.

OK, I got the latest Beta release now, installed. Everything looking pretty good. I did notice that TRACKS wasnt being cleaned and thought this to be weird. I found the other post which pointed it out to be a file extension issue, but attempting to change it to SBI, mearly made it so the file was now called tracks.sbi.uti. This may be cause TT is enabled and its protecting it some how. So I will try again with TT off. Or is there another way to change this??

The TeaTimer crash has been fixxed and seems to be working smooth now!

The TT hide option has been added to the registry and works fine with a mere change of the value from "0" to "1". This is in another location that what I was using before (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PepiMK Software \SpybotSnD). Though this new location works fine!!!

Recommend that the "New Skin for color blind peeps" be added to the next beta test version, seeing that its got the old one installed already, might as well have the latest version there already.

I have wondered if also adding the newest HELP and Language files would be good too, but, if there not using the ENGLISH language, then they wouldnt need those updated files. Though, they are already present, just older forms of them.

Yes, registry settings are now in ...\Safer Networking\... instead of ...\PepiMK Software\..., but when you first start one of the old versions, it'll automatically move over the old settings, and even if it can't do that, it'll use them in the old place as well. This registry value is also both in HKLM and in HKCU, to allow a system-wide override through the HKLM setting (this is valid for nearly all of the registry settings; this way an admin can override certain user settings).

Regarding updates: yes, I need to go through the list and check which updates are already included in the installer, and make sure they're only shown to older versions. Already did so for languages (not uploaded yet though), help files etc. will follow (though since help files are not very small, they'll probably not all go into the installer).

The file extension thing sounds more like Windows "preserving" extensions during rename operations, e.g. if you've got Explorer set to not show file extensions.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

in the latest beta 1.5.1.12 when i click search for updates button it starts searchin too fast. i mean you dont have time to click the search for betas button and the download languages button. i know i can do these in the setting section but if you have put those options there i think we should have time to click them . by the way why did you remove the secure shredder function. i was using it even if it is not a very great function it is a function