Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.5 beta bugs and false positives.

Esteemed Member

Click the 'Update' button in the left pane of Spybot S&D rather than the 'Search for Updates' button in the right pane.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    < SNIP >

The integrated shredder has, as jonathanbean mentioned, been deactivated and is used only for cleanups currently, simple because there are many better stand-alone shredders out there.

< SNIP >
    Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    < SNIP >

If you like, we would recommend an other tool for deleting sensitive data. The tool "Eraser".

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

< SNIP >

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

dj.turkmaster:

What is the name of the screen (top of the right hand pane) where you are clicking the "Search for Updates" button?

Are you clicking the "Search for Updates" button from Spybot's main screen or first going into Spybot's Update screen?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

bitman:

I missed your post typing mine.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by dj.turkmaster View Post
    in the latest beta 1.5.1.12 when i click search for updates button it starts searchin too fast. i mean you dont have time to click the search for betas button and the download languages button. i know i can do these in the setting section but if you have put those options there i think we should have time to click them . by the way why did you remove the secure shredder function. i was using it even if it is not a very great function it is a function
    There is another way. When you first open SB, there it TWO update buttons seen. One is on left, other is centered. If you hit the centered button, it will not only open the update portion of the program, but also start the SEARCH for updates.

If you hit the update button on the left, it will just open the update part, but not start to actually update yet. Then you will have time to select these options and then hit SEARCH

(EDIT: Guess I should have read the entire thread, so I could see someone else has already answered)
    Last edited by wk357mag; 2007-06-25 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by wk357mag View Post
    There is another way. When you first open SB, there it TWO update buttons seen. One is on left, other is centered. If you hit the centered button, it will not only open the update portion of the program, but also start the SEARCH for updates.

If you hit the update button on the left, it will just open the update part, but not start to actually update yet. Then you will have time to select these options and then hit SEARCH

(EDIT: Guess I should have read the entire thread, so I could see someone else has already answered)
    thanks for the quick replies. I was clicking the one in the middle

Esteemed Member

Don't feel bad, the same thing was happening to me. I just happened to realize that I was clicking the 'Search for Updates' which tends to imply an immediate response, so I tried the Update button to see what the difference might be.

I don't think this is enough of a bother to 'fix', it's just more evident now that the Search for Updates button skips a step, and mildly disconcerting when the window flashes by without stopping.

Bitman

Hi all,
    I accidentally ran across the beta in my travels online and after much searching made my way to this thread. Whew!! I have been a long term user of SpyBot S&D 1.4 (Win XP SP2 + updates) but never been here because I've never needed to (never had any major problems with SB)!

...So I was keen to have a crack at the beta (I've got the latest I think 1.5.1.12). I installed it straight over the top of my old SpyBot, probably a dumb start! Then had the problem(?) mentioned above with update (using the middle one - not the side one). I know it only a little thing but could I suggest that either both buttons do the same thing or the tick boxes don't appear on the dialog window when you press the "Search For Updates" button (in the middle)? I know it works ok, but becasuse of my other problem (see below) I actually thought it was a bug in the beta!

To the other (part of my) problem (which I think is more a fault with the mirrors rather than SB beta, but I think it could do with improvement). The update window would open with a list of available updates, I'd click download and it would go through the list and almost immediately say bad checksum for each (and every) file. The only way I could (see to) change the server/mirror was to quit out of the updater, back to the main screen and then hit update again. It took 5 or 6 times of that to get a server to work, was quite painful. In 1.4 you could just change server on the drop-down.

Otherwise, seems to run beautiful. Also I noticed I had to adjust all my setting to how I like them (thought they may have migrated automatically because I installed over the top?)
    ....Hang on just realised that I didn't "install over the top" I actually used a different Program files folder, I guess thats why I had to do settings!?
    Last edited by JedMeister; 2007-06-26 at 09:30.

@dj.turkmaster: And a third alternative: start the updater from the Windows Start menu

The shredder: well, it just doesn't appear on XP and newer any more, since on modern NTFS partitions, it might not be as secure as it should be. We usually recommend a free standalone product for that, just don't have the name at hand right now...

@bitman: actually, it was a feature request to actually "search" when clicking "search". Different users obviously see this differently

@JedMeister: you could actually right-click the list of updates and select "Back to mirror list"... but I guess not many people these days tend to look into context menues, a lot of functionality in Spybot-S&D might be overlooked that way ;-)
    Maybe I should add the "back" button to the bottom toolbar as well...
    The drop-down menu in 1.4 was "quicker", but also easier to overlook.

Which settings exactly were those you had to re-apply? Spybot-s&D tries to automatically migrate the registry settings, for example, and the stuff in the App Data folder shouldn't be changed as well. The only thing I just found was that the Ignore settings were overwritten. I adjusted that so they'll only be set if these files do not exist.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Recently installed version 1.5 (from Neowin). I unistalled and went back to Spybot 1.4 after just having a look around the BETA . Anyway in the 'Tools' in Internet Explorer 7.0 I have noticed that 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration' is still there.

1. How do I now remove this.
    2. Does Spybot now remove this on uninstall?
    ***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

If you want to help with Beta Testing, then uninstall what you got and do a fresh install of the latest beta client

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/s...eta/index.html

Then read the posts already made on it, so you dont reproduce the same posts on known issues and such.

Were hoping for another beta to come out real soon, with fixxes on problems already discussed