Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sidebar.exe

Quote Originally Posted by wchan23 View Post
    Hi,

My windows sidebar couldn't run anymore after installing spybot. During the installation, it prompted that sidebar will be disabled/closed (can't remember the exact wordings). After that my sidebar could not be ran. Why is it so??

Please help urgently..thanks.
    hello,

please tell us which versions of Windows and Spybot S&D you use. Also where you got the download of Spybot S&D. Did you activate the Teatimer ?
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default Spybot system start up shows %program files%\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe/detecmem

In my Spybot startup window i have: %program files%\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe/detecmem (user S-1-5-19) and (user S-1-5-20) highlighted with a red bar. Which according to the help page is as follows:

Green: legitimate program
    Yellow: unknown, unneeded or unambiguous program
    Red: malicious program

I have searched the internet but have not found anything that clearly tells me this is a threat to my computer or just a windows sidebar operation.

Should i worry, what is it and what should i do?

Please advise

kind regards

Ifty

(ps i have windows vista on my laptop)
    Last edited by iftymo; 2008-01-05 at 00:14.

Where you have Windows Vista,this may likely be the startup entry for your windows sidebar.
    At one time,Spybot displayed this startup entry as red whether it was the windows side bar or Search Centrix,see the first page of this thread.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=15238
    But,since then there was an update put out that should make it display in yellow,and there's updated descriptions now if you click the arrow over to the right to see the description.Here's the description from mine:

Current filename: %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem

Database status: Necessity depends on users preferences
    Value: Sidebar
    Filename: Sidebar.exe

Description
    If you are running Windows Vista it is a part of the operating system. But on other versions of Windows it can be a part of

Source: Paul Collins Startup list

Database status: Typically not required
    Filename: dsidebar.exe

Description
    "_Desktop Sidebar_ provides you with instant access to the information you most desire by grabbing data from your PC and the internet. The result is a dynamic visual display you configure and control"

Database status: Necessity depends on users preferences
    Filename: sidebar.exe

Description
    Windows Sidebar is a pane on the side of the Microsoft Windows Vista desktop where you can keep your gadgets organized and always available

Is it possible you might not have downloaded that update?If you check for an update with Spybot,it should display as updated Startup info,or something like that(I can't remember what it was called exactly.)