Thread: Spybot detects multiple viruses, doesnt after quick reboot

Default Spybot detects multiple viruses, doesnt after quick reboot

Hi, I'm new here.......

Its very odd, I was in the malware removal section browsing topics, and I tried out the sticky procedure

I usually run spybot every few days, but as of late my firewalls been asking me about weird things that havent been there before like AOL Loader. I realized I hadnt scanned in about 2 weeks.

When the S&D scan finished, it said....

AdRevolver, Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, DoubleClick, FastClick, HitBox, MediaPlex, Webtrends live, Zedo

BlackCore, TagASaurus, Virtumonde

I separated trojan from everything else.....in a txt for here. Then i hit fix for all of them, and ran again...every single entry came back. Repeated procedure..

Downloaded HJT and made a logfile, then realized I hadnt tried in safe mode yet, so I did and it said "Congratulations, you're uninfected at all"

And then I just restarted in normal mode and ran S&D again, and it found nothing.....and the entire time S&D said I had all that, norton and AVG said nothing (like always)

Has the problem been fixed or should i put up something in malware removal?

Also, last, quicker question. I know you're not supposed to have 2 AVs running, but can you have say, Norton Antivirus and AVG installed, and use them both seperately? Norton for realtime detection keep and AVG off unless for weekly system scanning but not realtime?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by Sy256; 2007-06-24 at 21:27.

Hi there.

Spybot-S&D is not an anti virus program so it searches for different items than your AV program.

In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers. Running Spybot-S&D in safe mode makes it easier for the program to remove bad items that are in use when running in normal mode.

Some say it is alright to have a resident and separate on-call anti virus program installed, if the second one is indeed on call for scans only.

However, I don't recommend as rule of thumb. Consider having one AV resident and using an on-line anti virus scanner once in awhile.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hey, thanks a bunch for the quick reply Tashi! So then does that mean that my AV programs arent good enough if they couldnt pick up Blackcore, Tagasaurus, and Virtumonde, while S&D could?

AND I PAID MONEY FOR THAT NORTON!!!! *shakes fist angrily at the heavens*

Soooo, basically I'm out of crisis mode now? And I was never in it to begin with?

Hello Sy256.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy256 View Post
    Soooo, basically I'm out of crisis mode now? And I was never in it to begin with?
    Without seeing before and after scans from Spybot-S&D I can't say.

You could send Team a log:

• Open Spybot-S&D and start a scan ("check for problems").
    • After the scan, right-click in the results field and choose either "Save full report to file..." or "Copy full report to clipboard".
    • Attach the file (or copy the report) to the email and send it to: detections(at)spybot.info (Replace AT with @)

If you do that, please include a link back to this topic.

Regarding Norton, did you see this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7683

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016