Thread: Does the Cancel button during update do anything?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Does the Cancel button during update do anything?

I'm just curious....
    Sometimes the mirrors have updates with bad checksums and the update stays on for a few minutes until it figures out that somthing's wrong. I usually figure it uut a bit earlier, so I try to click the Cancel button. When I do, nothing happens. So, I wanted to know: does the button hav any purpose, or is it there just for people to click on it and be satisfied when it finall closes by itself?
    Thanks

I believe the cancel button not working is just a little boo-boo.
    It's supposed to work,but it doesn't.

I agree.

I have the same problem on my XP computer.

Also, I just spent a very frustrating 30 minutes on the phone trying to help my (computer illiterate) mother close Spybot after it failed to download an update.

We finally ended up doing a control-alt-delete to close the program.

She may now be questioning if I knew what I was doing when I installed this and Ad-Aware on her new computer?

O

p.s. Do I need to have JavaScript enabled to use the smilies in these forums?

Well,disabling javascript,I'm unable to click the smilies and have them show in my post.Though typing in the smilie,it does show.--> You'd type in : followed by ) for the smilie icon,for example,if you didn't want to enable javascript.
    hth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia
    Well,disabling javascript,I'm unable to click the smilies and have them show in my post.Though typing in the smilie,it does show.--> You'd type in : followed by ) for the smilie icon,for example,if you didn't want to enable javascript.
    hth.
    Thanks for the reply

I had visited this Topic by TonyKlein in the Malware forum:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

and ended up here testing my system:

http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

One of the suggestions was to use the Notify or Disable feature with Active scripting but I got tired of being Notified at every change of webpage so I Disabled the feature which seemed to create the issue with the smilies :( This is I guess why some forums show the character makeups for smilies? Oh well, I turned the active scripting back on, hopefully I will remain a safe surfer.

O

You're welcome.
    Here are the 15 smilies from the right,if you ever decide you want to disable active scripting again(in the order they appear,left to right):

Code:
    :mad:  :p  ;) 
    :D  :crowned:  :bigthumb: 
    :o  :angel:  :) 
    :(  :confused:  :rolleyes: 
    :cool:  :eek:  :buried: