Thread: www.6969669.com

Default www.6969669.com

Hello,
    I recently brought a usb drive off ebay. Turned out it was from Hong Kong even though the registered seller was in the uk. When I inserted it a file jumped into internet explorer. Now every time I use the ie7 search bar, set up for Google, another tab opens with wxx.6969669.com/search.asp?id=search&web=google.com. I have updated and run Search&Destroy and a full Norton scan but neither have detected anything. The only webpages referring to the url are in Chinese and my Chinese not being so good with Google translator I cannot make out what to do other than use a program 360.com which is also in Chinese. If anyone out there could help it would be much appreciated, and also advise how to delete the file from the usb stick which simply replicates every time I delete it and masquerades as something else. Thanks again, c.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-06-26 at 00:07. Reason: Disabled Url

Hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by chriss_00 View Post
    If anyone out there could help it would be much appreciated, and also advise how to delete the file from the usb stick which simply replicates every time I delete it and masquerades as something else. Thanks again, c.
    Have you tried reformatting the USB Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by chriss_00 View Post
    Now every time I use the ie7 search bar, set up for Google, another tab opens with wxx.6969669.com/search.asp?id=search&web=google.com. I have updated and run Search&Destroy and a full Norton scan but neither have detected anything.
    If you would like someone to take a look at the System from a different angle, please follow the procedure in this link:
    "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default hope to be helpful!

Hi, I think I got rid of it by downloading Windows Defender, but another option was emailing the eBay ID that I bought the flash drive from, and they sent me a program called fix.rar, and some funny instructions, but I'm not trying it until I've tried the Windows Defender option. But I guess it will reload when I reconnect the flash drive next time?
    anyway, I got this from http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/Post_4820.aspx, and a very helpful Vincenzo Di Russo, on Windows XP newsgroups. Hope all this helps?

Hi there.

As the latter part explains how to download a HJT log and post it, chriss_00 and any member requesting help at this site with such, will find the instructions here: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance)

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default USB Flash Drive "Virus"

I work for the Santa Ana School District and a lot of our computers have gotten this "thing". Mine has after I connected my bosses flash drive for only once... all the other computers usually get a flash drive connected as well but they all are different brands and werent purchased from ebay.... i think its a technical error with all these new fancy flash drives that have software within them..... f***n annoying