Thread: SpyBot Scan Problem

Default SpyBot Scan Problem

when i scan with spybot 1.4 (my first scans with spybot 1.4), i am getting some errors relating to my "hosts" file.. here is the info from the scan report:

--- Search result list ---
    Error during check!: Windows.RedirectedHosts [27] (Cannot open file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Error during check!: Windows.RedirectedHosts [28] (Cannot open file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Error during check!: Windows.RedirectedHosts [357] (Cannot open file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Error during check!: Windows.RedirectedHosts [358] (Cannot open file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Error during check!: Windows.RedirectedHosts [479] (Cannot open file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Congratulations!: No immediate threats were found. () -end report

is this caused by a known bug in spybot 1.4?

maybe there is some problem with my hosts file.. (?)

any advice?

incidentally, when i did a scan with "spyware doctor", it had problems with scanning the "hosts" file, too..

since this does not seem to be a common problem, the "problem" must be something with my computer..

the only thing that i can guess is that there is something in the AOL software that is "locking" the hosts file..

i am running AOL 9 "optimized"..

Esteemed Member

Are you using any of the AOL anti-malware programs? One of these may have locked the Hosts file in an attempt to protect it.