Thread: Error creating registry key

Unhappy Error creating registry key

When I tried to open Spybot it said a registry file was missing and to reinstall.So I tried to but a message comes up saying Error creating registry key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.disabled
    RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5
    Acess is denied.

Clicked retry but the message still came up,ignore didn't make a difference either so I have had to abort.I've checked the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT permissons and Full Control and Read are both on allow...

??!!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Just guessing:

Since you apparently checked out the permissions on the [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT] key, the only thing that I can assume is that there may be a problem with the permissions being assigned to new child objects being created under that key.

When checking out permissions for [HKEY CLASSES ROOT], near the bottom of the "Permissions for HKEY CLASSES ROOT" screen there is an "Advanced" button next to "For special permissions or for advanced settings, click Advanced". When you click on that button it brings up an "Advanced Security Settings for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" screen. The entries that can be added there determine if the subkeys (children) will/will not inherit the same permissions as the parent. It appears to me that newly created child objects should normally inherit that same permissions as the parent, but if something was altered possibly that is causing the "RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5" - "Access is denied" problem.

There is a Microsoft article on the subject:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Well nothing is listed under Permissions in advanced settings,but "Inherit from parent the permissions entries that apply to child objects.Include these entries explicitly defined here" is ticked.I read the article that you linked me to,but i'm still a little confused!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

kate1:

I assume that you are installing from a computer Administrator account and that is not the cause of the problem.

The only thing that I can do is relate what my system (Windows XP Home) has for permissions on the HKEY CLASSES ROOT key.

• When I go into Registry Editor, right click on HKEY CLASSES ROOT and select Permissions the "Permissions for HKEY CLASSES ROOT" screen appears.
    • If I highlight (select) "Administrators (*********\Administrators)" and then click the "Advanced" button it brings up the "Advanced Security Settings for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" screen.
    • Neither of the following items are checked:
      • Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here
      • Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects
    • In the top section of that screen under Permission entries, if I highlight (select) "Administrators (*********\Administrators)" and then click the "Edit" button it brings up the "Permission Entry for HKEY CLASSES ROOT" screen.
    • The "Apply onto" entry indicates "This key and subkeys".
    • All eleven (11) of the permission entries are checked "Allow".
    • The item "Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container only" is not checked.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Esteemed Member

Try giving 'everyone' full control and read (that's the only entry I have listed for that key :-)).

If 'everyone' is not showing in the list when you right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, click permissions, click Add, click Advanced, click find now. It will show a list of alkl possible accounts, select 'everyone', click OK, then set full control and read allow.
    Last edited by Rosenfeld; 2007-06-29 at 19:21.

Smile Most likely the error is cause by registry size over limit.

Because the registry doesn't allow you to add entries there could be another reason - your registry size reached the maximum. This can be dangerous. Search google on how to increase the size of registry and how to check the current status. Perhaps you should compact it. If you install and uninstall lots of stuff you registry is big. Let us know if this helps.