Today as I attempted to run Windows Critical updates for a computer I only update occasionally I was blocked from downloading the initial (wga or update manager 3.0 whatever) this in effect locked me out of downloading the criticals from the page that should have loaded after the initial install.

I regret that before visiting the Windows site I updated Spybot to the latest definitions otherwise the failure may not have occurred and I would know for sure it was something new.

After some extensive searching and trials to get the update to work again, I ran across someone who had disabled Zone Alarm, Spybot S&D and a few other things and was able to get the download. So, to test the theory that it was only one of these I disabled teatimer resident shield first and went back to the update site and bingo the installation succeded.

The error I recieved when the download failed [error number : 0x80070020] had been identified by a tech in one of my searches as a locked file stopping the installation of the download. So Teatimer is locking a file necessary for Microsoft to install its newest Download Manager (or WGA I suspect).

To test my theory I used another PC thats updated regularly so it would have the latest Spybot definitions and it also could not download the update until I disabled the Resident Shield.

If someone could verify this and look into the problem I would be gratful. I've used Spybot since the begining of time, when I was using a rock as a computer and real mouse to surf the ancient web (web .000001), and I will miss it if I have to let it go.