Thread: Can't unlock host file

Default Can't unlock host file

I been very satisfied with Spypot for several years. Today I wanted to add Spybots lists to my host list, but the access was denied.

So I tried to unlock the hostfile in Spybot, but it doesnt want to be unhooked.

What is wrong? how can I turn it off?

I run Avast 4.7 home edition and Spybot....

Btw I don't run Windows firewall or Zone Alarm.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

ascaaear:

Spybot locks the HOSTS file by adding the read-only attribute to the file. If the read-only attribute is present when you attempt to add Spybot's HOSTS file, Spybot removes the read-only attribute adds information to the HOSTS file and reapplies the read-only attribute.

To manually remove the read-only attribute, using Windows Explorer navigate to the HOSTS file (see Note #1) > right click > select Properties > near the bottom of the Properties panel, look at the Attributes and make sure that Read-only is not checked (if it is uncheck it).

If read-only attribute is not checked or you are unable to uncheck it, there is most likely some other software installed causing the problem.

Note #1: The HOSTS file is located here:
    • Win 95/98/ME = C:\WINDOWS
    • Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    • Windows XP/Vista = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.