Thread: Scanning floppy drive during Check for Problems

Default Scanning floppy drive during Check for Problems

Hello,

I have a stand-alone PC Pentium 3 running Win98SE with Spybot 1.4.

When a "Check for Problems" ("scan") is carried out, the floppy drive gets "rattled" so much that I have to stick a floppy disk in it. The floppy drive's green r_eading light then stays on for some while during the Spybot scan.

There are no other applications open during the scan (though "GoBack" and "NIS 2003" are running in the background) and certainly nothing to explain why the floppy disk drive is being accessed other than because of the Spybot scan.

I am concerned whether Spybot may perhaps be wrongly trying to scan the floppy drive instead of the areas on the hard drive where it is supposed to be scanning?

I would be grateful for a comm_ent shedding some light on this.

Reg_ards,

Go to advance mode-->settings-->Directories. Check whether your Floppy Drive letter(A:/) is there. If it is, right click and click "Remove the selected directory from the list" to tell spybot not to scan the floppy drive.

Cheers

Thanks dk2005 for your response.

There are no entries in the "Directories" ("Download directory") section to which you referred.

If the rather constant reading of the floppy drive during a Search by Spybot is normal, then fine - perhaps someone could let me know, but I've noticed Spybot does not read the floppy drive constantly during Searches carried out on my other PC.

Therefore I am concerned whether Spybot may be failing to scan the hard drive when it is trying to read the floppy drive.

If anyone has any ideas about whether that behaviour of Spybot is normal, or alternatively if there is any solution to this apparent problem, it would be most apprecated.

Regards,

Esteemed Member

No, scanning a floppy isn't normal.

I doubt this is causing the hard drive not to be scanned, but there is something wrong.

I see two possibilities. First, is your floppy at the normal drive letter of "A" and your hard drive at letter "C"? If not, that will confuse Spybot since those are standard defaults and shouldn't be changed.

Second, it's possible there was something on a floppy at some point that created links to the "A" drive, possibly during an install. Especially if these were startups, Spybot might be trying to scan for the items at these links. Do you see any errors during system startup or are you aware of any viruses or other malware that you had on a floppy in the past?

Thanks bitman for your reply.

Hard drive is C:\ Floppy drive is A:\
    There's never been a virus on a floppy to my recollection.
    There are no errors during system startup or at other times, so far.
    The system has NAV 2003, SpywareBlaster and AdAware as well as Spybot and scans are done weekly - nothing found.

I hope to hear further from you.

Regards,