Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 web update

Default 1.5 web update

I installed vers. 1.5 on a laptop and I notice (unlike my 1.4 install) that when the program starts and checks for updates it leaves open on the desktop a dialog box stating that no update was found. I have the settings checked the same as the 1.4 install (different computer). The older version simply goes out to the web, grabs and installs the updates (if any) and then the Spybot scan takes over.

Is there some error on my part with setting up 1.5 or is this a change in 1.5?

Another question, when new updates are made for newly discovered "bad products", will those updates apply to all versions of Spybot S&D? I have problem sometimes keeping all the family computers current.

Thanks

bump

Updates apply to all versions; especially the updated tools.dll and advcheck.dll updates do supply a lot of functionality to 1.3 or 1.4.

That the update dialog isn't just closing silently is to avoid confusion. Imagine people trying to update and the window would just go away again, that's not good style

Or are you referring to the option to automatically check for updates on program start? If so, we might need to pass an /autoclose to the updater still...

Does this still happen with 1.5.1.13 (just out)? If so, I'll add a bug entry to the project manager.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Or are you referring to the option to automatically check for updates on program start? If so, we might need to pass an /autoclose to the updater still....
    Yes, this is what I am referring to, when it is set to update, immunize, then scan by the scheduler

Does this still happen with 1.5.1.13 (just out)? If so, I'll add a bug entry to the project manager.
    Not sure what the Build Number is, I clicked the About box under Help, but nothing happened. Just says 1.5 on the skin.

Let me know if I can check something else.

Thanks

Help -> About should do the same as clicking on the Info & License section on the left. Once clicked, the Info & License page should show a four-digit version number (starting with "1.5.1.12", now "1.5.1.13"). If you just have "1.5", that's not the newest version (1.5.1.13 got out only today, that's why I asked).

I'll check it myself asap though

edit: ok, I checked, it's really better in 1.5.1.13 now. I've both update options enabled (search + download), and it'll just go through the updates and won't stop with any dialogs to click away

I noticed that the lastest version (clean install) still doesnt have the latest colorblind skin option, as well as the latest Help files and description files. I say this cause once again, they were all offered to me on first update, after intinial install.

Not a big deal, just weird that the color blind skin has a date of 28Jan2005 and its still not in there. TeaTimer help is 25July2005. Other files are 2006!

Colorblind skin: is still not where? I just tried a blank installation, just the main group one couldn't disable. And the skin landed in Skins\Colorblind.ini. When selected, it also worked. Please note though that only change is that usage tracks are shown in blue (because colorblind people could not distinguish between the red and green). If there are other color contrasts not really comfortable to colorblind people, please name what exactly should be changed and how.

Oh, hmmmm you're just saying that they appear in the update again? That's something easy to fix on the server, will fix that (probably won't appear any more next Wednesday if I don't upload the fix earlier)

Description files: I did update the installer creation script to always use the newest english description file. As for the others, these files are not really small, so it's intention they're not integrated into the installer, but available separately only (we don't want to bloat it to get even larger than 10 MB, right? ).

Help files: I need to make some pressure there to get the updated ones, yes As for localized help files, same as above: including them all in the installer would bloat it by some MBs probably.

Colorblind skin: is still not where? I just tried a blank installation, just the main group one couldn't disable. And the skin landed in Skins\Colorblind.ini. When selected, it also worked. Please note though that only change is that usage tracks are shown in blue (because colorblind people could not distinguish between the red and green). If there are other color contrasts not really comfortable to colorblind people, please name what exactly should be changed and how.

Oh, hmmmm you're just saying that they appear in the update again? That's something easy to fix on the server, will fix that (probably won't appear any more next Wednesday if I don't upload the fix earlier)

Description files: I did update the installer creation script to always use the newest english description file. As for the others, these files are not really small, so it's intention they're not integrated into the installer, but available separately only (we don't want to bloat it to get even larger than 10 MB, right? ).

Help files: I need to make some pressure there to get the updated ones, yes As for localized help files, same as above: including them all in the installer would bloat it by some MBs probably.
    When I speak of colorblind skin, its just to mention that on a fresh install, its still offering me one to download. I presumed that its NEWER, though I didnt really check this. Though once I download it, it doesnt offer it again. Just thought it should include the newest file.

Help and description files: Yes we should keep total package as small as possible, but, I am speaking of having the basic english files, which I thought was on board already, so why not have the newest, rather then downloading them.

Let me do a complete uninstall of this again and install one more time so I can pay attention to these things.

Also, when doing a uninstall with previouse Beta, it didnt delete the folder stored at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy" path, so it maintained my statistics as well as the list of things that TeaTimer remembers. Im thinking it might be best to have it delete the content in this folder too. I can do it manually, but, most folks wouldnt think of it. I didnt with last install. But will see if this latest version does a full uninstall this time.

Well, there's one strong argument for keeping that folder: people having deleted something they did not want to delete, than in panic uninstalling Spybot-S&D. If we would delete the Application Data folder as well, the Recovery folder would be gone, too

Maybe we could try to delete just some entries there, like Configuration.ini, Immunization.ini, Statistics.ini, Snapshots and Snapshots2...

That is a very good argument, and one that is PROBABLY in the best interest to the majority of people out there. I suspect that it is!!!! But, Im the kind of guy that wants it so when I uninstall something, I want everything gone. Either cause I didnt like that program, or, I need to do a clean install. But this is just me. Im sure you will do what ever is best for the majority and I truely suspect that this is it!

ok, been working on this some, got some screen shots to show. I did uninstall this 1.5.1.13 version and then clean all the residual stuff left behind, Cleaned my registry, blah blah blah, its a clean install now. It does have the colorblind skin in the skins folder, but, on first update, it does offer what initially appears to be a newer version, but, upon investigation, its not! At least it shows its self to be the same. Screen shots are named INSTALL to show how it was after install, but prior to update. Then there is the OFFERED UPDATES which shows that it did offer me another, potentially newer skin, but the UPDATE pics shows that its the same skin. Checking hash marks.

(EDIT: To add that those pics look good on my desktop, but not here. But the MD5, SHA1 and CRC-32 hashmarks are the same, along with file size being identical, so its not really an update after all, though after updating to this, it doesnt offer it again)
    Last edited by wk357mag; 2007-07-12 at 22:19.