Thread: some Software updates and TeaTimer

Default some Software updates and TeaTimer

Greetings to SB S&D community,
    I am a long term user of you program.
    I never had any issues with it.
    What I will try to describe below may not be the SB problem by itself but nevertheless…
    Recent version of a-squared Free has some problems with update. It is all over their forum.
    Symptom: when the new version of main program a2free.exe and/or recently introduced a2service.exe being downloaded from the site in order to update, those files are not overwritten as a result. The Updater declares “success” though.
    In addition to that I have some unique implication. If I restart computer after such an update one or both mentioned executables (update may not be offered for both at the same time) will be removed (!without a trace!) from a-squared directory.
    Long hours of investigation ended with a surprising result:
    As soon as I shut down TeaTimer before update everything will be updated overwritten etc. and you may switch On TeaTimer back straight after update...and no fear of Restarting and disappeared files as well.
    I was hesitant to write this request and probably would wait and explore a bit longer but another event came along. I went to MS site to check for updates (I sometimes visit there despite having AutoUpdate). It happened that MS offered to download and install some “New” update facilities prior to any subsequent updates. I agreed. That failed with that weird 0x8xxxx whatever error. After a few unsuccessful attempts I tried described trick with TeaTimer shutdown and the next try of Update succeeded.
    Thanks in advance for any comment and ideas.
    Regards

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiberLynx View Post
    I was hesitant to write this request and probably would wait and explore a bit longer but another event came along. I went to MS site to check for updates (I sometimes visit there despite having AutoUpdate). It happened that MS offered to download and install some “New” update facilities prior to any subsequent updates. I agreed. That failed with that weird 0x8xxxx whatever error. After a few unsuccessful attempts I tried described trick with TeaTimer shutdown and the next try of Update succeeded.
    Thanks in advance for any comment and ideas.
    Regards
    Appzalien reported a similar problem with Windows Update in this thread (the only other report that I am aware of):

I personally have not encountered problems with either a-squared or Windows Update.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi md usa spybot fan,
    Thanks for reply and for the ref. to the other thread.
    The issue remains a mystery though.
    I never blocked anything concerning a-squared & MS update. There were no pop-ups for those anyway.
    So for now temporary shutdown of TeaTimer is my workaround for a2. (no new MS updates yet).
    Finally, I'm just curious about the following quote.
    Appzalien wrote:
    "...I have the answer on my end to the problem. Others may have the same problem and this could help them."
    So ... where is the answer? ... or it's just my bad English
    My best regards

Hi md,
    I just came here to report that the last MS auto-update (today 11/07/07) went through smoothly with TeaTimer running. There were 2 warning pop-ups about adding & then removing NetFX<smtn> during XP security patch installation. Both were allowed as it should be.
    So the case with MS update previously reported was really something to do with that newly introduced "MS updater Update", I would call it.
    Now, the a-squared updates are tested as well amongst all other security programs updates and a2 still remains the only problem in conjunction with TT running in the background.
    Thanks & best regards

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

SiberLynx (a.k.a. Lynx in the a-squared Support forum, I assume):

I added additional information about the "0x80070020" error while running Windows Update to Appzalien's thread:

I'm sorry but I have no idea what the problem could be with a-squared. It works fine for me.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks md usa spybot fan,
    It is very interesting additional info indeed.
    One more comment.
    I new I need to be more creative with my nicknames
    I have been traced. And now everybody knows... I duno what to do next...
    You see - your alias is much better.
    "md" - most likely stands for the Internet domain name for Moldova, at the same time "usa" follows, which makes it completely undetectable...and then "spy" goes...
    You good, man!
    Cheers