Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spybot 1.5 beta, Immunize v2 and Opera's cookies...

OK, my tests with a clean install of Opera 9.22 build 8800 and Spybot 1.5 are finished. I had the same results as I did with 9.21.

I'm not sure why I was getting my cookies deleted earlier. Maybe it was just the amount of cookies that was the issue. I'll do more testing. Edit: It is caused by the amount of cookies you have. I logged into about 5 or 6 different sites/forums/etc and only then did Spybot damage my existing cookies.

Anyway, Spybot is having an issue in Opera 9.21 and Opera 9.22 with reading the cookie data after Opera has saved it. It's possible that Spybot saves the cookies file in a format that Opera doesn't like, and when Opera restructures it, Spybot can no longer understand the data it had added.

I guess I could take a look at the structure of the cookies file, and see if I can figure out what's going on.
    Last edited by GT500; 2007-07-16 at 19:31.

Might be I found a lead

First immunization on a clean file works well.
    Following unimmunization on that file works well (though bad cookies are still listed? Hmmm).
    Second immunization attempt looses standard cookies...

project manager entry
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK
    First immunization on a clean file works well.
    Yes.

Following unimmunization on that file works well (though bad cookies are still listed? Hmmm).
    I didn't try 'unimmunize'. I don't imagine it would work though, as Spybot cannot read it's own entries in Opera's cookies file after Opera has parsed the file.

Second immunization attempt looses standard cookies...
    That only appears to happen when you have more than 4 or 5 cookies (and is not limited to the second time you immunize). Granted it's easy to get far more than that in a short amount of time...

You were right about the file format :-)

The content filter fields (filter, match, etc.) have been updated, they now are able to store more data. The official documentation still lists them as 1 byte in size (int8), they're in32 (4 byte) now though. That way, reading the cookie file stops as soon as an entry that includes filter tags is encountered (so the order of the cookies was important as wlel).

Unfortunately, the documentation does not get updated as often as it should.

It's good to hear that you're figuring out what's going on. I can't get Opera File Explorer to run in any of my 64-bit versions of Windows, so I can't really help...

Hi, and thanks for your work
    After 36 hours expierence with Spybot just two questions, both about immunization & Opera:
    1. In 'Permanent Opera immunity' shown profiles, but I don't use Opera profiles (means I don't have Opera folder in 'Documents and Settings', only 'profile' folder in ProgFiles/Opera), so am I immunized?

2. String '42 plugins blocked. 0 unblocked' (Permanent Opera immunity->Status) what about? I don't saw any changes browsing or in cookies.

Thanks again and sorry about my english

P.S. WinXP SP2 32bit; Opera 9.22 final (8801)
    Last edited by ei4ia; 2007-07-21 at 10:23.

Default Opera immunity

double post, sorry
    Last edited by ei4ia; 2007-07-21 at 10:22.

That sounds VERY much like Spybot-S&D 1.4, and NOT like the tool this thread is about, nor the current 1.5 beta.
    I suggest you try one of those (the stand-alone demo, or the 1.5 beta)

Yes it was 1.4 with updated exe 1.5 beta OK, now installed full 1.5 beta package. No more questions so far, thanks.

I've finally updated to the new RC1, and this issue does seem to be mostly fixed. Immunizing Opera against cookies with Spybot still causes an issue in Opera's cookies file, and all of the cookies that were there appear to be invalid after the immunization. Oddly, this only happens if you have enough cookies, and it is not reproducible if you only have a few cookies (I tested after logging into about 6 different forums).

BTW: Good work on the new RC1. I like the direction that Spybot 1.5 is going in.
    Last edited by GT500; 2007-08-24 at 04:16.