Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to activate the "Show Dialog box when blocking" option in version 1.5 ?

Question How to activate the "Show Dialog box when blocking" option in version 1.5 ?

Hello. I upgrated today to the new version 1.5 of Spybot-S&D and noted some changes when comparing to version 1.4, some good and others not so good, in my opinion. In this post i'll refer only 2 of the changes in version 1.5 that I consider worse than the previous version:

1. The program takes now significantly more time to open than before. In my system it takes exactly 25 seconds from the moment i double click the shortcut icon until the box "Loading Spybot -Serch and Destroy..." appears. That doesn't bug me at all, but might hurt impatient users, who might inadvertently double click the icon several times, since they aren't seeing the loading box showing that the program has already been ordered to run. I have a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 2,0 GB System RAM.

2. In version 1.4 i configured resident "SDHelper" so that when Spybot blocked content when entering certain sites i could see a warning dialog box showing that information, something like "Spybot-S&D has blocked DoubleClick. You can disable this warning in Spybot configuration screen". I believe that many times the blocked content was coming not directly from the site itself, but instead, from some third party advertising company which was displaying ads in that site. But nevertheless, i considered it very useful, i liked to be warned rather than Spybot blocking content silently. I even got warnings about Spybot blocking DoubleClick when entering sites that i considered "safe" such as www.download.com ! It was only this Internet explorer add-on that has made me use IE7 instead of Firefox, although many people advise me to use Firefox instead !!!
    But in version 1.5 i don't seem to be able to configure "SDHelper" as i did in version 1.4.
    Is there any "unobvious" way to configure it so that i can turn on the warning dialog boxes ?
    Thank you so much.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Port_H View Post
    But in version 1.5 i don't seem to be able to configure "SDHelper" as i did in version 1.4.
    Is there any "unobvious" way to configure it so that i can turn on the warning dialog boxes ?
    Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration". Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" you can select among:
    • Block all pages silently
    • Display dialog when blocking
    • Ask for blocking confirmation

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Question

Thanks for that. I didn't spot it. Now, and just to test it, I went 4 times to www.download.com and all the times I did it, Spybot blocked a URL with the designation "/Avenue A, Inc.", showing the respective dialog box. Then, without closing IE, i went to Tools>Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration, and in the Statistic table, "Blacklisted sites & files" scores "4" under "Blocked". However, I went to "Allowed & Denied" tab, which remains blank, with no records. It's supposed to be this way ? And is it possible to reset the "Blacklisted sites & files" counter to "0" ? I guess this information is missing in Spybot help files.

Port_H:

Can I assume that you set Spybot's Resident "SDHelper" to "Display dialog when blocking"?

If so, you have not stored any entries that would show up in the "Allowed & Denied" tab.

On the other hand, if had selected "Ask for blocking confirmation", then "Spybot-SaD Bad URL Blocker" dialog would allow you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the download and also allow you to select among the following options:
    • Ask me again next time
    • Remember for this session
    • Always react this way

Under those conditions if you select "Always react this way" an entry would be stored in Spybot's IEBlack.sbe or IEWhite.sbe files for future reference and the entry could be displayed under the "Allowed & Denied" tab.

Added with edit:

ps: Please let me know if that explanation is clear because I'm sure that the question will arise again.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-09-27 at 20:59.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Port_H:

Can I assume that you set Spybot's Resident "SDHelper" to "Display dialog when blocking"?
    Yes, you assumed right.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    ps: Please let me know if that explanation is clear because I'm sure that the question will arise again.
    The explanation is clear enough; however, i'd also like so see other questions clarified:
    • If you configure "SDHelper" to "Ask for blocking confirmation", and then, go to a web page and see the dialog box asking for you to allow or deny a bad URL detected, you have the option to choose also "Ignore parameters". What is this ?
    • If you choosed the option to "Deny" and "Always remember", then the bad URL appears in the "Allowed & Denied" tab of the Spybot configuration window. But if you have clicked "Deny" or "Allow" by mistake, or changed your mind, or, like me, was only testing the functionality, and want to remove that entry from the "Allowed & Denied" tab, then how do you do that ? I tried selecting one entry and pressing Del, or right clicking, but no context menu appeared, and i couldn't delete it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Port_H
    And is it possible to reset the "Blacklisted sites & files" counter to "0" ?
    Still got no answer

Quote Originally Posted by Port_H View Post
    But if you have clicked "Deny" or "Allow" by mistake, or changed your mind, or, like me, was only testing the functionality, and want to remove that entry from the "Allowed & Denied" tab, then how do you do that ?
    Unfortunately due to a programming oversight the only way to currently edit that information is to manually edit either or both of these files:
    • IEBlack.sbe
    • IEWhite.sbe

Those files are located in one of the following directories:
    • Windows 95/98
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
    • Windows ME
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
    • Windows NT/2000/XP
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
    • Windows Vista:
      C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

The problem has been recognized and is being corrected. See the following tracking ticket on that problem:

hello

md usa spybot fan, it seems i meet the same problem. You say :

"Unfortunately due to a programming oversight the only way to currently edit that information is to manually edit either or both of these files".
    I try this solution in searching the too programs you indicate in this way:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes "

when i click on IE black or on IE white, the result is it start only spybot S&D. So i cannot do something manually.
    I tried to explain at Sandra my problem in an another post but my very poor english don't help me to explain my real problem. So how to del manually, in waiting a bug correctif patch. Many thanks by advance. Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by HuguesL View Post
    when i click on IE black or on IE white, the result is it start only spybot S&D. So i cannot do something manually.
    Don't left click on the files. To edit one of the files, right click on the file, select "Open with" and then select "Notepad".

md usa spybot fan

Thank you very much for your help. I did not understand. Now it's clean with this operation. Can we hope a patch for a next time?

I see that you are trying the patch from your entry in the tracking ticket on that problem:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-09-28 at 17:38.