Thread: Yet another scheduler question

Default Yet another scheduler question

I've recently set up scheduler to run an overnight scan twice weekly. Xp accepted the task (password etc.) and it appears according to Spybot and Windows that the task was performed. I wanted to do the scan without making fixes so that I could do it manually at a more convenient time. Nothing, however, was displayed on my desktop to allow me to do this. The two buttons in scheduler are unchecked. I should mention, if it has any bearing, that the Spybot desktop icon is in a folder used to keep my desktop "clean". TeaTimer is off so there is no systray icon. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's possible.

Any help would be appreciated, d4l3d

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

For information on the command line parameters that can be used, see the following:

To run a scan silently without fixing anything, you could use the following command:
    • "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck /autoclose /taskbarhide

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

md usa spybot fan,

I guess I'm not making myself clear. Spybot runs successfully overnight when I've scheduled it. It does not fix anything, as I want. I prefer to choose what to do at that stage.

My problem is that Spybot doesn't display anything in the morning on the desktop, such as, for instance the open scan window, that would allow me to do the fixes manually. I'm forced to run the scan again while present in order to see the results. Completely defeats the purpose of the auto-scan.

Autocheck is all that follows the address. autoclose and taskbarhide sound like exactly what I don't want.

Hope this is easier to understand, d4l3d

What parameters are you using?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

According to Windows scheduler, Autocheck is the only parameter.

d4l3d:

As long as you have:
    1. Responded to the "Legal stuff" message by checking "Don't show this message again" and then clicking "OK" at some point in time.
    2. Not gone into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings and altered any of "Program start" options under "Automation".
    3. Created a Scheduled Task as follows and it is starting and running:
      • "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck

Than after a scheduled run the results screen from Spybot's "Check for problems" should be displayed at the conclusion of the scan.

To help determine what the problem is, please post the following:
    1. The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files (see Note #1) from that last time Spybot was run using a Scheduled Task.
      • There are two methods to copy and post the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files from previous scans:
        • Method 1:
          • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the detections that you like help with. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
        • Method 2
          • The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
            • Windows 95 or 98:
              C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
            • Windows ME:
              C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
            • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
              C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
            • Windows Vista:
              C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
          • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log.
          • Double click on it and it should open with Notepad.
          • To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy.
          • Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

2. The contents of Spybot's Configuration.ini file.
      • By default the Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
        • Vista:
          C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the Configuration.ini file.
      • Right click on the file and using the "Open With" option open the file with Notepad.
      • To copy and post the content of the file:
        • Right click on the listing and select "Select All"
        • Right click on the listing again and select "Copy". That will copy the content of the file into the Clipboard.
        • Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

Note #1: By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

md usa spybot fan,

I'm under a time crunch right now so quickly, before we get involved with the rest of your suggestions, I have never touched;

"...the 'Legal stuff' message by checking 'Don't show this message again' and then clicking 'OK' at some point in time."

It still diplays whenever I start Spybot. Could this be it? Would be great if it were this simple.

d4l3d
    Last edited by d4l3d; 2007-07-18 at 23:09.

It could be that simple. The next time you open Spybot and get the "Legal stuff" message, check the "Don't show this message again" and then click "OK". After Spybot fully loads, exit Spybot to save the modification of the default entries in the Configuration.ini file and then restart Spybot. You should no longer get the "Legal stuff" message.

Thank you md usa spybot fan. I ran a test and it looks like that was my problem. Embarrassing. Should have figured that out myself. I never fail to miss the simple things.