Thread: Trying to install Trend Micro Pc Illin....

Default Trying to install Trend Micro Pc Illin....

....but it says I have to remove Spybot. Don't really want to remove Spybot but I'm currently without protection having uninstalled my previous Anti Virus program opting to switch to PcIllin. Need your advice - do I do as it says and uninstall Spybot???? (after all, I can always reinstall it when I need it??) Is PcIllin a waste of time (heard lots of good reports) ????
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-07-18 at 15:48. Reason: Moved from Malware removal forum

I think that Trend Micro Pc Illin is not compatible with Spybot S&D.
    Which version of Trend Micro Pc Illin you want install?
    If you want other Anti-virus, here are some links:
    Avast! Professional Edition 4.7
    Grisoft - AVG 7.5
    AVIRA AntiVir Personal Edition Premium 7.03
    BitDefender Professional Plus 10
    Dr.Web for Windows 95-XP 4.33.2
    eScan Anti-Virus 8.0
    ESET - NOD32 2.70.23
    Fortinet FortiClient 3.0
    F-Prot for Windows 6.0.5.1
    F-Secure Anti-Virus 7.01
    G DATA AntiVirusKit (AVK) 17.0
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2
    McAfee VirusScan 11.1
    Microsoft OneCare 1.5
    Norman Virus Control 5.82
    TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 2.5
    If you want to compare anti-viruses, check this and this. You must have at least 1 anti-virus on-access scanner.
    Last edited by Tom.K; 2007-07-19 at 06:55.

Thanks for that Tom.

I'm now leaning towards Kaspersky - the Internet Security 6.0 version is what they offer on their website . I've been told I will need a stand alone firewall despite there being one included and I've no experience of this (all my other protection programs I've used had a Firewall included).

Any thoughts?

You can run spybot with pccillin 07.
    1) Undo any immunizations that you did in spybot, and then remove spybots' host file, if you used that.

2) Uninstall spybot. (pccillin installer won't install if it detects spybot)

3)Install trend micro 07

4)reinstall spybot.

then you're good to go!
    remember though that you cannot re-enable spybots immunization, or spybots host file, coz pccillin will detect them as spyware entries.

Default Pc-cillin

"remember though that you cannot re-enable spybots immunization, or spybots host file, coz pccillin will detect them as spyware entries"

Actually, their anti-spyware scan will detect a bit over a hundred of the hosts files entries, but you can work around that by setting their scan to ask instead of always deleting, then when it finds them, tell it to "always ignore" and it won't find them again.

Their "suspicious software alarm system" and its "list of suspicious changes" will complain about immunizations and other hosts file entries, but they come up with so many false alarms even on non-spybot PCs that I think everyone should just turn them off and ignore them. Once, when I let PC-cillin undo non-spybot "suspicious changes" it trashed my network connection and didn't say exactly what it had done, leaving me to double check all my network settings until I found it. You would be much better off with Teatimer, especially the 1.5 beta version. I don't think any sane person could stand to have old Teatimer and PC-cillin both asking your permission about every system change they see.

Trend Micro suggests turning off Spybot's immunizations and before un-installing it, because the immunizations add a lot of registry entries and slow down spyware scans. They seem to say in one FAQ that it can cause real-time scan slowdowns, but I can't confirm that. Anyway, their by-request and scheduled scans may go faster without Spybot's immunizations. That isn't a big deal on my PC, but if your PC is slow it might make sense to de-immunize before a PC-c spyware scan, then re-immunize.

I think PC-cillin is a pretty good product, even if the 2007 version is a bit disappointing. If you have already paid for it I would suggest you keep it and re-install spybot. If you aren't too clear how from what you read in this post, search the archives and you may still be able to find a thread from a few months ago where I gave similar advice with different wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cobol View Post
    "remember though that you cannot re-enable spybots immunization, or spybots host file, coz pccillin will detect them as spyware entries"

Actually, their anti-spyware scan will detect a bit over a hundred of the hosts files entries, but you can work around that by setting their scan to ask instead of always deleting, then when it finds them, tell it to "always ignore" and it won't find them again.

Their "suspicious software alarm system" and its "list of suspicious changes" will complain about immunizations and other hosts file entries, but they come up with so many false alarms even on non-spybot PCs that I think everyone should just turn them off and ignore them. Once, when I let PC-cillin undo non-spybot "suspicious changes" it trashed my network connection and didn't say exactly what it had done, leaving me to double check all my network settings until I found it. You would be much better off with Teatimer, especially the 1.5 beta version. I don't think any sane person could stand to have old Teatimer and PC-cillin both asking your permission about every system change they see.

Trend Micro suggests turning off Spybot's immunizations and before un-installing it, because the immunizations add a lot of registry entries and slow down spyware scans. They seem to say in one FAQ that it can cause real-time scan slowdowns, but I can't confirm that. Anyway, their by-request and scheduled scans may go faster without Spybot's immunizations. That isn't a big deal on my PC, but if your PC is slow it might make sense to de-immunize before a PC-c spyware scan, then re-immunize.

I think PC-cillin is a pretty good product, even if the 2007 version is a bit disappointing. If you have already paid for it I would suggest you keep it and re-install spybot. If you aren't too clear how from what you read in this post, search the archives and you may still be able to find a thread from a few months ago where I gave similar advice with different wording.

Thanks guys. In the end opted for Kspersky on a 30 day trial. Will see how it goes but I keep getting conflicting reports. There are those who say it's wonderful whilst others can't stand it. Horses for courses I suppose butt it doesn't really help me. If I'm not happy with the trial, I might try AVG next as this is the one I hear most people rave about although the online reviews I've read seem to indicate Kaspersky as more reliable if a little less user friendly than AVG.

Thanks for your advice