Thread: RadLight detection only based on .RPK extension?

Default RadLight detection only based on .RPK extension?

Hi,
    I know a little about the RadLight / Ad-Aware issue, and it looks like Spybot chose the Ad-Aware side. Fine. But RadLight media player has been "detected" by spybot on my machine. The Problem is: I never installed any RadLight product.

Apparently this detection is based on the file extension ".rpk" being registered in windows registry. Unfortunately I have another software (legit) installed that is using the same extension: Caphyion Advanced Installer, a tool to create installers for software developpers. That's what regedit told to me.

Fortunately I was suspicious about having the RadLight software on my machine, so I checked regedit to verify that Spybot was making a mistake.

To Spybot's developpers: Spybot is a great tool, but can you update this particular detection to not only rely on file extension?
    To other users and googlers possibly having the same issue: check as deep as possible before "fixing" anything on your machine.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Would you please post the actual detection you are getting, I personally would like to see it. In addition the actual detection may be helpful to the member of Team Spybot who investigates your problem. To do that:
    • Run another scan.
    • When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
    • Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread.

Thanks

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

thank you for reporting,

the issue has been found and will be corrected with the next update.

also thanks mda usa spybot fan for requesting a scan log since we usually need it for finding possilbe false positves
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.