Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 sec delay on startup

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post

I should probably go and rewrite FileAlyzer 2 (hasn't been worked on for more than a year and is already outdated The new concept (load-when-needed) I started with FALite is probably better suited for FileAlyzer 2.
    Nice, I look forward to that.
    And I've updated the block size used in the checksum generation algorithm (Checksum generation very slow); that one was previously using a size depending on the bytes per cluster of the drive the file was on, and while this had some error handling for the case the cluster size cold not be retrieved, the default value was not really well fitting. That's about the only thing that could really be drive-dependent.
    Is there meanwhile perhaps, err, a fixed version to play with/test?
    Last edited by stevebow; 2008-02-22 at 11:26.

I looked at the delay problem on my Vista32-Business-System with ProcMon (Sysinternals) and it seems the reason for the delay is the following (failing) strange file/pipe access:
    Class: File System
    Operation: CreateFile
    RESULT: BAD NETWORK PATH
    Path: \\ˆÍê(Íêðù\PIPE\lsarpc

No clue why this happen only under Vista. Somehow the path seems to be heavily corrupted.
    Procmon shows this error just after the timeout passed by and the filealyzer tabs show up.
    Besides, the delay happens also if a file is loaded via the file-menu, only that the first General-Tab was already refreshed. Changing to another tab show the filealyzer is waiting for a timeout (on my system 13 secs).

Cheers

Is there a chance this problem will be looked at in the near future? I can't complain as it is a free utility after all , but it is rather annoying nevertheless.

I've got a new RootAlyzer and RegAlyzer finished today, FileAlyzer should be among the next
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

FileAlyzer 1.5.7.2, not yet on the website, but here's the link. Sorry for the delays, had to make sure it still works with the parts not yet available to the public disabled for now (needs some other parts of a project to be finished first).

The problem reported by moschlo was still in there, though it was loading much faster already. Logged it here.

Smile

Ah, great, with version 1.5.7.2 and normal-sized files , there is no startup-delay anymore.

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    FileAlyzer 1.5.7.2, not yet on the website, but here's the link.
    Thanks! This version has fixed the problem for me - the FileAlyzer window now opens right away. Since my original report I have recently upgraded to Ultimate x64 from Home Premium x86, though I'm sure that wouldn't make too much difference.

One curious thing though, when I use FA on an exe via the context menu I am constantly nagged by a "Open File - Security Warning, Do you want to run this file? etc...". Is this a Vista thing or something triggered by FA?

Of course I'm not running the exe, just using FA on it.

Thanks once again for the update, the constant delay wer just driving me absolutely bananas!