Thread: updates query

Default updates query

Hi

How come when I download and install the Spybot includes the day it is issued, when I check for updates after installing there are still several?
    Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

johnwrites:

Can you explain further?

It sound as if you are manually downloading and installing the spybotsd_includes.exe file (Detection updates yyyy-mm-dd) from the Downloads - The home of Spybot-S&D! and then doing an integrated update within Spybot-S&D.

Is that true?

If that is that case the download from the Downloads - The home of Spybot-S&D! is an external change and is not recognized by the integrated update facility within Spybot-S&D. In other words the two update methodologies do not work together. The Downloads - The home of Spybot-S&D! Web page indicates:

Detection updates yyyy-mm-dd - product description
    md5: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
    If you are in fact doing both types of updates, note the statement in the spybotsd_includes.exe download:

Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Yes I was downloading the includes files and then using the integrated updates in case there was any I missed. I thought not all are in the includes. Are you saying one is enough Can I just download and install manually, the reason I prefer that is I then have the update backed up in case I crash

Thanks for answering this much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by johnwrites View Post
    Yes I was downloading the includes files and then using the integrated updates in case there was any I missed. I thought not all are in the includes. Are you saying one is enough Can I just download and install manually, the reason I prefer that is I then have the update backed up in case I crash

Thanks for answering this much appreciated
    You can either install updates automatically, or manually, but you get all the new files, regardless of which way you decide to download them. New updates are released every Wednesday of the week. Be sure to re-immunize after you have updated spybot.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djpailo View Post
    You can either install updates automatically, or manually, but you get all the new files, regardless of which way you decide to download them.
    That statement is not entirely true. For example the updates for 2007-07-25 using the integrated update facility included the following updates:
    • English descriptions - English target descriptions file (215 KB) - 2007-07-25
    • Immunization database - !Updated Immunization database (546 KB) - 2007-07-25

Those updates updated the Targets.nfo and CLSIDs.sbs files which are not included in the files updated by manually downloading and executing the spybotsd_includes.exe file for 2007-07-25.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-07-28 at 12:24.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.