Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Immunization Problems

Okay, here are my latest findings:

1. I started Spybot and went into Immunization; the seventy-two Firefox files were again not immunized.

2. I closed Spybot, then I closed Firefox.

3. I restarted Spybot, went to Immunization.

4. The seventy-two files still not immunized, I ran immunization. Very quickly the seventy-two files were immunized. As soon as that happened, the progress bar stopped, approximately one-third of the way across from left to right. However, the "building blocks on the left side continued to run.

5. I tried to close Spybot using both the "X" and File/Exit. Neither worked. I again had to use Task Manager, and as previously, it took two tries to close Spybot, with the second attempt bringing up a "program is not responding" message.

6. I closed Spybot, opened Firefox; after perhaps ten minutes of browsing various sites, I reopened Spybot and checked immunization; as of now, all files, including those related to Firefox, have remained immunized.

Default i kind of duplicated your problem, but strangley

1. Open firefox 2.0.0.6 and view this forum
    3. Launch Spybot the newest beta out on xp pro sp2
    4. Go to the immunize page
    5. Then go to the main page and click check for problems
    6. Start a scan
    7. go to the immunize page and click immunize
    8. If nothing bad happens click redo then unimmunize (or whatever its called)
    9. Will freeze or stop, and the cpu will be at 100% even on a 3.33 ghtz Celeron D, 512mb ddrII
    10. Cant close spybot, tried system ctrlaltdel and cant end process, tried a few times, firefox is laggy now, spybot stil open, cant close it with file exit from within spybot.
    11. It only just closed when i got to number 11

I know what you felt now.... Feel free tot ry it. :P
    --------------------------------------------------
    King of zlobtrojan, virusburst, spyaxe, and elite bar infections.

Something was changed with the latest updates to Spybot, which were released 1Aug07:

1. I closed Firefox, started Spybot, went into the update screen, checked the "beta test" box.

2. When the download of the updates was completed, a box (of the "commmand" nature) appeared on the screen. It disappeared too quickly for me to be able to note what it said; all I could gather was that it was, in fact, sending some sort of command to Spybot.

3. When the box closed, I was returned to the download updates screen; as the process was completed, I closed Spybot.

4. I then restarted Spybot and went into the Immunize module, which showed quite a few unimmunized entries, so I started the immunization process. The process took a while, but it did complete, and I was then able to close Spybot from within Spybot, rather than having to use the Windows Task Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Confused View Post
    2. When the download of the updates was completed, a box (of the "commmand" nature) appeared on the screen. It disappeared too quickly for me to be able to note what it said; all I could gather was that it was, in fact, sending some sort of command to Spybot.
    This is when it updated the TOOLS part. This is normal

I would try to UNimmunize everything, then go to TOOLS--> Host File--> REMOVE spybot host file list. Close client. Then restart then go to same play and ADD the host file list, then reimmunize everything. This should fix it all.

Hmm. WK357mag, did you read all of my latest posting in this thread, the message that stated that everything now works?

I don't see any reason to follow your instructions, although I'm sure they were offered in good faith. See the #4 entry in my posting earlier today, wherein I state that, for whatever reason (or even lack thereof), all seems to be working correctly.

I see that now. When I read it, I thought you were still having problems with this process.

I needed to do what I said, to get it all updated.

Good for you!

I had a thought; once I recovered from the shock....

What follows is totally hypothetical, and is offered here merely as a possibility:

I don't recall seeing the pop-up message during recent updates, and I know that, unlike this morning, I have not been returned from it to the download module of Spybot.

IF the pop-up did not appear (and, again, I don't know that it did not), then it is possible (and only possible) that SpySweeper has been interfering with recent Spybot updates.

Why would I say that? After an update to SpySweeper not too long ago, I started having serious problems with one of my many extensions to Firefox. My investigation led me to disabling the File System shield in SpySweeper, whereupon the extension problem went away.

I then filed a support ticket with WebRoot, SpySweeper's company, and quickly received a reply that they were aware of a problem with that shield and were working on a fix.

Yesterday, I got a notification of a new release of SpySweeper; when I installed that update, the problem with the Firefox extension was no longer there.

So, could SpySweeper have been at least part of the problems I've been having with Spybot? We'll never know, but it does seem to me to be at least within the realm of possibility.