Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immunization Problems

Default Immunization Problems

Using Spybot 1.5.1.13 (and at least one earlier beta-test release), I have been encountering repeated immunization problems.

For example: Yesterday, I updated Spybot, and started the immunization process. After a while, the process stopped, and I could not close Spybot from within Spybot.

I used the Windows (XP Home, SP2) Task Manager to close the process, and restarted Spybot; the same problem arose, so I repeated the steps to close and restart.

After perhaps two or three attempts to immunize, Spybot did increased the number of immunized entries before it once again gave up. It took me some five or more tries to finally get everything done.

There were quite a few unimmunized entries, as I had recently removed and reinstalled Firefox 2.0.0.5, but the places where Spybot stopped, according to the immunization screen, were before it got to the Firefox entries. In fact, the part of immunizing the Firefox entries went rather quickly--again, according to what I could see on the Spybot screen, as I have no way of knowing what Spybot was actually doing.

This is not the first time that I've had problems with the immunization process of the Spybot beta-tests; the previous times were much the same as yesterday, although not so serious in terms of how many times I had to kill Spybot and restart the immunization process.

go to TOOLS --> HOST FILES --> then hit the ADD Spybot host file list button at the top. Then reimmunize, restart client and test to see if it works then

1. I hit the "add Spybot host file list".

2, Started Immunization, which showed some items not immunized, so I ran Immunization. Result: 72 Firefox items left not immunized, with immunization process apparently complete, judging by progress bar and the "building" icon at upper-left having stopped.

(24 items each in Firefox images/installations/popups marked as not immunized.)

Out of curiosity, I again ran immunization without doing anything else, meaning that, apparently, immunization had completed without hanging Spybot, but without finishing the immunization process. The process began, then the program hung.

3. Used Task Manager to close Spybot.

4. Restarted immunization, which immediately stated that all files were immunized; the 72 Firefox items were marked as immunized. Progress bar went to right end, process stopped, program active (that is, I could change to another module without needing to use Task Manager.)

what operating system you got? What version of FF?

Windows XP Home, SP2

Firefox 2.0.0.5

Default ...

Theres problems with immunization, i found a few, the program seems to need restarting after updates are downloaded before attempting to immunize, anyway will test next candidate for bugs.
    I reported a few but yeah they dont sticky them and lost the post, anyway love you spybot team.
    --------------------------------------------------
    King of zlobtrojan, virusburst, spyaxe, and elite bar infections.

I shall endeavor to remember to restart before trying to immunize after the next update.

Of course, as my religion prohibits remembering things....

Weird: Purely out of curiosity, I just opened Spybot, went to the Immunization page.

There I found the same seventy-two Firefox un-immunized entries as I posted earlier today--yet the last time I ran Immunization, I was able to get all Firefox entries immunized. Thus, I have to wonder why I again had seventy-two entries not immunized.

Having found the 72, I ran immunization. The progress bar went part way across the screen, and then stopped, although the "building block" at the upper-left-hand corner kept on going.

So, I clicked on "check again", which worked--and which stated that all Firefox entries were immunized.

There seems to be a bit of a problem with the serum....

Addendum: I just found out that, while I could change from Immunize to other parts of Spybot (and update even worked) I could not close the program using the "X". I did not think to try File/exit. I had to use Task Manager, and there I found a repeat of earlier uses of Task Manager: I clicked on Spybot in Applications, then on End Task. Nothing happened, so I repeated the process, whereupon I got the notification that Spybot was not responding, and I was able to close Spybot through that pop-up.
    Last edited by Always Confused; 2007-07-27 at 05:54.

Hmmm...

Do you remember if you had Firefox/IE etc. open while trying to immunize?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Hmmm...

Do you remember if you had Firefox/IE etc. open while trying to immunize?
    Firefox was open; I'll try closing it first next time.