Thread: A great idea!

Angry A great idea!

I stead of blocking out stuff by using the host file. the reason is it slows down computers. Put those things under content advisor. this make really ! that is a better Idea. please think of doing it. it will make loads of people happy. what do you think?

Hello.
    I do not understand what you mean by:
    Put those things under content advisor.
    If you do not wish to use Spybot-S&D's HOSTS File you can remove it, although certainly I'd recommend using a HOSTS File. (from a reputable source)

In many cases using a well designed HOSTS file can speed the loading of web pages by not having to wait for these ads, annoying banners, hit counters, etc. to load. This also helps to protect your Privacy and Security by blocking sites that may track your viewing habits, also known as "click-thru tracking" or Data Miners. Simply using a HOSTS file is not a cure-all against all the dangers on the Internet, but it does provide another effective "Layer of Protection".
    Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.

To resolve this issue (manually)
    Read the rest here:
    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Tashi, I think I understand what Sages was suggesting.

He felt that a hosts file slows the system down. But--correct me if I'm wrong, Sages--he did not mean the hosts file was no good. He was suggesting what he thought might be a better idea, which would be to place the bad guys in a content advisory. He felt that would make them really angry (hence the red-faced emoticons) and that would be a deterrent to them.

And, as much as it would make the bad guys unhappy, he felt it would "make loads of [good] people happy".

I am not giving any opinion either way. I am only hoping to make one person understood to another. Again, my apologies if I have made a mistake, Sages. Is this what you meant?