Thread: Windows Security fighting with Norton

Default Windows Security fighting with Norton

Greetings,
    I was using Norton Internet Security 2005 and got several notices that the anti-virus had expired. I prefer to have a CD in hand rather than download in case I ever need to reload, so I went to Office Max and bought Norton Antivirus 2007. Had to uninstall all of 2005 and then install the 2007 version. Fine.

All has been well except that everytime I run Spybot it finds Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled.

When I click on the + sign to expand, it shows Settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wcsvc\Start!=W=2

I've read a number of threads in this forum (from 2005/2006). Did Run-->services.msc, found the security center file and it was set to automatic.

Any other ideas?

Everything on my computer seems to be running fine, but I trust Windows Security more than Norton and would prefer to make that the dominant security feature.

Many thanks!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

See if post #3 in the following thread helps:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Many thanks!!!

what a relief! thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

desertdune:

Question: Did you restore the functionality of Windows Security Center from within Norton and if so were the instructions sufficient and accurate?

Regards,
    md usa spybot fan

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

"Question: Did you restore the functionality of Windows Security Center from within Norton and if so were the instructions sufficient and accurate?"

I followed the directions to open Norton-->options-->select Show messages from Windows Security Center

then I did another SpyBot scan and nothing was noted. Will do a full shut down and restart and scan when my clients quit calling ;-)

desertdune:

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Since I don't have Norton and because of the lack of feedback on prior posts, I was never able to verify if those instructions worked property.

md usa spybot fan

Default instructions perfect!

Hi md,
    Just wanted to confirm...after restarting and running my computer for a few days all is well. SpyBot is not giving me the message anymore and everything on my computer is running normally.

thanks, again, for your help!